Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What hurts my score worse...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What hurts my score worse...?

A series of late CC payments and 3-4 credit card charge offs?  Or a bankruptcy?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What hurts my score worse...?

How severe are the lates? 30, 60, 90, or 120 days?

Are the charge-offs paid or unpaid?

How old are the lates and charge-offs?

Are you considering filing for BK instead of dealing with the lates and charge-offs?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I recently became unemployed and am looking into the possibility of declaring bankruptcy.  My other option is to negotiate charge offs with my credit cards.  Or I could sign up with a debt management service, but I'm not sure I'll have the income 6 months from now to make the necessary payments. 

Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

In FICO scoring, "recency" reigns supreme. So, any major baddie (collection, charge-off, BK, judgment, 90-day-late or worse, foreclosure, etc.) that is less than two years usually tanks FICO scores. That said, from a FICO scoring standpoint, a BK "might" or "might not" tank your scores a bit more.

Message 4 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

A debt management company is the worst thing.

No need to pay someone else to do what you can do yourself for free.  Also, there are a ton of horror stories about them making your credit worse and perpetuating lates forever.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@mauve wrote:

A debt management company is the worst thing.

No need to pay someone else to do what you can do yourself for free.  Also, there are a ton of horror stories about them making your credit worse and perpetuating lates forever.

I have to respectfully disagree. One of our long time members marty56 has written extensively how a DMP helped him. DMP's can and do help folks without wrecking their credit. Here are some discussions about DMP's.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

You are disagreeing with me everywhere today, sir!

OK, I hadn't seen a counterexample yet.  Perhaps "be very suspicious of debt management companies" is a better statement.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.