Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if I didn't file my 2012 tax returns and I know I owe money

tag
idonthaveaname88
New Visitor

What if I didn't file my 2012 tax returns and I know I owe money

Is it too late or can i just put this information into my 2013 return from 2012?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What if I didn't file my 2012 tax returns and I know I owe money

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Not really sure about that.  Have you tried searching on the IRS website?

Message 2 of 9
titanofold
Established Contributor

Nope, you'll have to file 2012 as 2012. You can't roll it into 1. It shouldn't be difficult to do and you can even go to your local tax office and they'll be happy to help you.

Be forewarned you may have to pay a penalty for late filing.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 3 of 9
Officer737
Established Contributor

As Titan said, you have to file it as 2012. If you use a tax agency to file then when you file your 2013 have them file the 2012 also. And as pointed out, you may get hit with a penatly for filing late

Message 4 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@idonthaveaname88 wrote:

Is it too late or can i just put this information into my 2013 return from 2012?

You must file a return for tax year 2012 even though we're in the 2013 tax year. No big deal. Just pull the 2012 tax return forms from IRS.GOV and submit it with your payment. The IRS will send you an invoice for penalty and interest once your return was processed.

Message 5 of 9
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

What if I can't afford payment . Also is there a way to do it so I won't screw up my math
Message 6 of 9
titanofold
Established Contributor

@idonthaveaname wrote:
What if I can't afford payment . Also is there a way to do it so I won't screw up my math

If you can't afford to pay it, you can setup an installment agreement so that you can make monthly payments of an amount of your choosing. However, you should pick an amount that would potentially have you paid off within a couple years.

I'm currently making payments on about $7,000 worth of taxes. Actually, only $4,500 of that is taxes (principal) the remaining amount to pay is interest and penalties.

However, I started at about $16,000 in 2009/2010. My tax returns that I would have gotten have helped quite a bit.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 7 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@idonthaveaname wrote:

You will have a non-filing penalty to pay. It's actually cheaper to file, and not give them payment, instead of just not doing anything at all.
The IRS does take CC payments now, through a 3rd party processor, for a percentage fee. If your income is low, or nonexistant, they have "forgiveness/fresh start" programs available. Worst case scenario, you pay a $100 fee, and make payments up to a four year window, depending on the total amount owed.

Message 8 of 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@idonthaveaname wrote:

Go to your local IRS office and see a representative. Take all of your documents with you. They will help you complete your past-due return and work out a payment arrangement with you right there and then. The longer that you wait to get that return files, the more it will cost you.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.