cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good secured credit card to apply and get?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What is a good secured credit card to apply and get?

I used to have 700+ credit score but things did not go well in the life and fallen back again. I am trying to settle the credit cards and loans but it will take me a while. What is a good secured credit card I can appy for and get it. I want to have at least $2500 - $3000 in credit limit. I know there are so many secured credit cards available on the web. Any suggestions as to which one I should get and I want to keep it for at least 3 years and until things are settled down in my life.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: What is a good secured credit card to apply and get?

Discover maxes out at $2500 and is basically a normal card, except it's secured. I believe Citi, Wells Fargo, and BofA can go much higher, but just because they can doesn't mean you can. When they run your credit, they'll all set a maximum you can deposit. Could be $500. Should be that way with all secured cards.

Message 2 of 5
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

I second the Discover and it would be my first choice, because after using it properly and it graduates, you will have started with something that you don't have to close later (sub-prime card).   Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 3 of 5
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Discover is some thing I am considering. But I might not be able to get a secured Discover card since i defaluted on the regular Discover account and I am in the process of settle that and make a payment and then apply for secured card. For now Discover Secure is not an option. I applied for and got approved for OpenSky Visa. I have applied to Merrick and waiting to hear back from them. Next probably it would be Discover secured but first I have to settle their existing account.

Message 4 of 5
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

I would say citi because I defaulted on discover to and have a lot more Charge off Accounts and had no positive accounts but the approved me and you make your own limit they don’t suggest one or make you get another one. I made mine 2000 plus I want their double cash card anyways.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.