cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What now?

tag
arogers1031

What now?

I sent a DV letter to Transworld Systems for a $1,700+ medical bill and they mailed me a bill from the OC, 30 days later. I’m confused on what to do next.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: What now?

@arogers1031 wrote:
I sent a DV letter to Transworld Systems for a $1,700+ medical bill and they mailed me a bill from the OC, 30 days later. I’m confused on what to do next.

Hi and welcome to the forums 

I am going to copy and paste suggestion by @gdale6 on how to deal with  medical debt below 

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

If none of that works, try negotiating a settlement 

Settlements dont look as pretty on manual review, but just about anything looks better than unpaid charge off or collection. 

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What now?

A DV request does not impose any requirement to or period to respond on the debt collector.

It imposes a cease collection bar on the debt collector (if timely-filed within the first 30-days after dunning notice), which then remains in effect until such time as the debt collector chooses to send the requested validation.

If the debt collector does send validation in response to a timely DV request, that response lifts the cease collection bar, and the debt collector is then free to continue their normal collection activities.

If the debt collector resumes collection activities without first having sent adequate validation, the consumer can them sue the debt collector for violation of FDCPA 809(b) and/or file a formal complaint with the CFPB.

However, case law generally establishes a very low threshold for what is considered adequate validation, with a statement that they have determined the debt to be valid normally considered as adequate validation without need to provide supporting documementation or proofs.

If you wish to bring civil action or file a CFPB complaint asserting violation of the cease collection bar due to lack of adequate validation of the debt, it is highly advisable that you first obtain legal review and opinion of an attorney after research of the case law interpretation of what is or is not adequate validation within your judical jurisdiction.

With respect to the specific, posted scenario, it appears that they have now provided adequate validation, which means that collection activities can resume as normal.

You can pursue any of the normal actions described by other responders.  The DV process simply appears to be concluded, and it is business as usual.......

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.