Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What now?

So I have a collections account from my University. The amount owed is $204, I was unaware of this at the time. The CA is Recovery Management Services. I already did a debt validation letter and it came back verified. I contacted the CA they said they do not owned this debt so they couldn't do pay for delete. They said normally they would update as so but they just collect on behalf of the university. I spoke with my university and asked if they called recall the debt and asked for a goodwill gesture to get this removed. They responded saying that they must report accurately to the credit bureau's and they could only update it as a paid collection . Is there anything else I could do? Or just keep it moving at this point? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: What now?

Welcome @Anonymous 

The Univ owns it as the CA said. The CA will get a cut of what they collect. So since they dont own it. They cant post stuff on your reports. So just pay the Univ. Then the aging will begin for it to fall off from the DoFD. Schools aren't known for GW's. Especially student loans. Be done with it. Paid looks better than owed for future credit apps.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

Aww man this kinda sucks, I always see the messages of not paying the collections. Blah blah blah. Since I kind of already played my hand with my options. The best thing to do is just pay the university for the amount owed? Even if it will show paid collections? 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plead your case to the director of financial operations at the university, or even the president--particularly if you're a graduate.

Never stop at the first 'no' from a front line worker, who usually serves up boiler plate responses.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.