cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What rebuilder cards/ lines pull TU. I'm @ TU 625 and it's my highest score so far.

tag
thebreeze
Valued Member

What rebuilder cards/ lines pull TU. I'm @ TU 625 and it's my highest score so far.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What rebuilder cards/ lines pull TU. I'm @ TU 625 and it's my highest score so far.

I personally would suggest a secured card if you are rebuilding with that score unless you forsee it going to 640+ range fairly soon then you can try cap1 pre-qual site along with discovers as they cater to rebuilders more so than other lenders and arent predatory.  Otherwise as stated do a secured card route for 6 months and see where your fico resides at that time is my suggestions

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What rebuilder cards/ lines pull TU. I'm @ TU 625 and it's my highest score so far.

I agree, I would take a hard look at the Discover secured

Message 3 of 5
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

Banks use a guide called “credit bureau preference tables” and they decide which credit report they  will pull based on where you live.Excluding mortgages of course,although capital one pulls all three cr's for any app.I tried the same thing I hope this helps.

Message 4 of 5
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

With a highest score of 625 and the other two in the 510-520 range, I got a Citi secured card, which appeared almost immediately on my credit reports. I guess I got it just before it reported for the month.

That took my scores up into the 580-590 range, and I applied for a Capital One card and was approved, for a limit a bit higher than my security deposit (I put in $199, my limit is $300).

I would look at those two specifically. You can try Discover secured, but they seem slightly harder to qualify for. I was denied when my scores were all in the low 600s but approved last night with my scores all in the 650-665 range.

From what I have read, the ideal number of cards for our situation is three, so if you don't get Discover, I would consider another one, like Open Sky.

Whatever cards you get, I suggest putting a small recurring bill, like Netflix or Hulu, Spotify, etc on it - one bill on each card - and setting up autopay - split payments in half if the credit card company's site or app allows you to do that. Set alerts and pay attention to them. Avoid using the cards otherwise or if you do, make an early payment. Credit utilization should stay below 8% or so if possible.

I also suggest getting a $500 Self Lender loan. If you google it, you will see what it is. If you can get a secured card, you should qualify for that loan. You don't actually get any money you can use. It's for credit-building only, and reports to all three bureaus.

I also suggest joining My Jeweler's Club. It will cost a $100 fee, and you will also be obliged to buy $100 worth of crap. In return, you get a $5000 credit line that reports to all three bureaus. I think everyone qualifies as long as they pay.

Your total cash outlay for all that I listed would be at least $765 ($200 for each card, $100 for MJC membership, $50 for first payment on the $100 of crap you bought from MJC, $15 application fee for Self Lender) and you will soon after that have a $48 monthly payment due for Self Lender, so basically $815 up front. In return, you get five lines of credit. Then it is time to garden for 6+ months. You will ultimately get most of the money back whenever you close the credit cards and when the Self Help loan matures. Specifically, you will get $500 plus some interest back from Self Lender in return for paying $591 on payments and the $15 fee to open, so, that will cost you somewhere around $80 in the long run. You lose the $100 fee to open MJC. You lose any annual fees you pay on the credit cards. And you will have $100 worth of costume jewelry that would cost $20 anywhere else, so let's call that an $80 loss. In the long run, you are paying somewhere around $260 for a year's worth of five positive lines of credit.

Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.