Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a decent credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a decent credit card?

I've had several things deleted from my profile. Right now I have 2 cap1 cards (500&300) limits. Nfcu secured (550) and discover secured (300). I had 2 lates in 2018 on the cap1 with the 500 limit. Nfcu is on the 8th statement and discover is on the 7th. I have one collection from DirecTV. Those my only baddies. I want one card with a decent limit. What are your thoughts on Wells Fargo or Bank of America? Should I wait to see if my secured cards unsecure?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: What's a decent credit card?

I would grow your current cards and yes upgrade your Secured when the time is right too.      How long have you had the 2 Cap 1s?!   NFCU and Disco?!      I would def. wait for them all to hit the year mark minimal before trying to upgrade though

Message 2 of 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

When you upgrade your Secured to Unsecured you can ask for CLI with your other ones.     That is what I did with my Secured I had in the beg.

Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forums. You have enough as we say starter cards for now. Getting more credit hoping for higher SL's wont happen for a while. Give it a year and use you cards but always have 1 report a balance and PIF the rest. You got the training wheels for now to prove you can ride the FICO bike. Payoff that Directv bill so it quits updating. The late will have to run its course. If its a 30 day. After 2 yrs it loses its sting the most until fall off. You could try the GW letter. But dont get your hopes up. That hurts also for future higher CL's also. Clean up what you can now. Grow what you have and in time the bigger things will come.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the 500 limit since 12/2017 and the 300limit since 7/2019.
Message 5 of 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I would wait until 07/2020 to be honest Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had the 500 limit since 12/2017 and the 300limit since 7/2019.

And here's why they wont grow=" I had 2 lates in 2018 on the cap1 with the 500 limit." Plus they are Cap1's bucket cards. Once a rebuild starts you cant have any lates. Need to know what your baddies are that were paid. Whats remaining to be paid. And go to creditchecktotal.com and get your 3 FICO's for $1 and cancel before the trial ends in a week. Post those, the remaining baddies,  and then we can help and see what may help you achieve your goal. But those 2 lates are recent in the eyes of a creditor and will hamper newer higher limit cards. Disco and NFCU will graduate if you got them after the lates maybe. If it was before. That may delay graduation.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, get online and put all your cards on minimum automatic payments.  You should be paying all cards off each month (leaving a small balance on one of the cards) for optimum credit scores.  You can pay on a card even if you set up automatic minimum monthly payments.  It is just a fail safe.  If something happens and you can't pay off the card that month before statement due date, then the automatic payment kicks into effect and you won't get a late.  Also, make sure you are not relying on your CCs to meet monthly living expenses.  This is a sure way to cause financial problems.  Your take home pay should cover expenses for the month.  If take home pay doesn't cover your expenses, then you need to start cutting expenses...not taking out more credit.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.