cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good rebuilder card for someone with ~560 scores when...

tag
thebreeze
Valued Member

What's a good rebuilder card for someone with ~560 scores when...

Discover and Green Dot cards are not an option and she's been turned down by Capital One already? Her highest score is EQ with a 580 if that helps at all.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's a good rebuilder card for someone with ~560 scores when...

Why are those cards not options? May help with an answer.
Message 2 of 11
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

OP,

I would suggest the Amazon builder card. When you apply they consider you for the regular card but if not approved they can offer the builder which graduates in 7 months. It’s fairly new in the market (6 mos). While it not a ‘major card’ it’s one that if you shop at Amazon can be with you for awhile rather than getting a card like Indigo or Credit One which most people end up closing after their rebuild is complete. The Amazon account gets funded pretty quickly after you send in your deposit and can hit your report within a few weeks thereafter.

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OpenSky is a secured card that does not perform a credit check. Have her get that, manage it for 6 months, and then hit the Disco prequals.
Message 4 of 11
calyx
Super Contributor

@thebreeze wrote:

Discover and Green Dot cards are not an option and she's been turned down by Capital One already? Her highest score is EQ with a 580 if that helps at all.

Discover is a nice one, but if she cannot get approved - try for Citi.   It usually takes longer to graduate, but it does actually graduate and they seem to be kinder to low scores than some of the other big banks.   Just a warning:   You cannot increase your credit line with them once the account is open, so I would deposit as much as you can with them.

The Amazon secured card is a new one, and if she shop there, it could be a good fit.   If all else fails, I had very good experiences with Opensky, which doesn't do a credit check.   You can also add more money to increase your credit line with them.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 11
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

I have citi and amazon so i would agree to try those too but amazon only if she shops on there because thats why i got it. As far as citi the expiration on the card would be your graduation date and for both cards my score was In the 400s when i got approved.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 6 of 11
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Another happy Citi secured card holder. And I second the advice to deposit as much as practical, because it's not possible to increase your deposit/CL once the card is issued, until it graduates.

Green Dot not being an option is ok IMO ... not a fan. I would go with Open Sky before Green Dot. I say this as a Green Dot cardholder.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

my favorite is the Discover secured ,, early graduation rewards on secured account plus a foot in with Disco..

Message 8 of 11
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

The op already stated discover and green dot are not a option.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 9 of 11
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

I would also recommend the OpenSky card. No credit inquiry, no nonsense, and you can increase your limit if you choose. 

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.