Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do? CO due to mail forwarded new CC 4 years ago

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do? CO due to mail forwarded new CC 4 years ago

This all began in 7/2012 -- I had applied for a CC right before finding out I would have to move across the country very suddenly. Turns out the card was forwarded through the mail system even after I had called the OC to say that I was moving and to please hold sending the card until I had an address I knew would be safe for delivery. (Is this even allowed?) Unfortunately, the card arrived before I did and was used by someone else. I'm sure enough stuff arrived in the mail and was placed in our box to allow activation -- there was about 2 weeks worth of mail in there.

I completely forgot about the card because of the move and craziness of job hunting, new job, family etc. I didn't give it another though until a few months ago, when for the first time in years, I pulled my free credit report to prepare for a mortgage application. That is when I saw the account -- charged off on April 2013. I paid the account in full as soon as I realized it was there but is there anything I can do about my CR? I contacted the OC and they say they can't make any changes doe to FCRA, etc. 

13 REPLIES 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What should I do? CO due to mail forwarded new CC 4 years ago

The credit reporting blocking provisions of FCRA 605B apply to  "any information in the file of a consumer that the consumer identifies as information that resulted from an alleged identity theft."

By following the requirments of section 605B, including filing of a police report and submission of a statement attesting that the information does not relate to any transaction authorized by the consumer, it can be blocked from your credit report.

Message 2 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Agree. I'd file a report and move forward.withe the info Robert provided above.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry to hear of this. I would do what the others said and I hope it gets taken off. Sorry you paid it! That's just terrible.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to file a report tomorrow. I guess I figured I was out of luck because of how long it's been. I'm almost positive they're going to give their heads a shake. My vision:

Police: "So when and where was was this card stolen?"
Me: "In August 2012. From my mailbox. Sort of. I hadn't moved in yet."
Police: *opens mouth to speak*
Me: "Yes, I realize that was 4 years ago. And I asked them to wait to send it. Buuuut then I forgot about it.
Police: *opens mouth a little wider*
Me: And I only discovered this in March when I got my credit report. I didn't think about it until we wanted to buy a house!"
Police: *closes mouth and shakes head*
Me:"And then I paid it."
Police: "You paid the bill, Ma'am? Even though your card was stolen from your mailbox?"
Me: "That I did."
Both of us: *shrug and complete the paperwork"

I'll let you know how it actually plays out.
Message 5 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Take along a printed copy of FCRA 605B, and explain that you are not concerned with how or if they investigate, but that you need a copy of a police report in order to preserve your rights to get the information removed from your credit report.

They can put your report in the bottom drawer and never investigate.  The importance is that you file a statement before a law enforcement agency, which carries penalites for any knowingly false statements.  Otherwise, you only have a assertion that is not acceptable under the FCRA to ger the info blocked.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know how this turns out....

I'd be interested because I like the OP would think (unless the Cop was bored and lonely enough to look for a way to waste time) most PDs would say go pound sand.

The BIGGEST issue is, this "supposed" lost in the move CC account from 4 years ago, gets was readily PAID just here in the last few months.

Mighty convenient for an account one PAYS without much of a fight wants to claim ID theft NOW...after paying, it does beg a honest question of WHO would do that, except a person with some culpability or possibly protecting a friend or family member but it certainly could feel like the payment was made because the jig was up and to cover tracks and get a loan, here comes a false claim to manipulate the law.

* Just given a scenario not, accusing just saying be prepared to face some tough questions that easily could be asked.

FYI ....
I 'heard'of ppl disputing items as inaccurate and because they've been paid...there are times where OC don't even waste the time to answer a challenge (again they've been paid and are off doing profitable things of the day) and since such item wouldn't be validated in time the CRA just DELETES said item.

Or so I 'heard'😉

Again, not asking for the 'corrected' status of paid but a direct challenge of the accuracy of said item...ppl forget you don't have to HELP the other side prove their case, the burden is on them, if they can't or won't validate 100% accurate info, it must be deleted, period.

If they can't make it fit, they must delete it!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eek! Now I'm not feeling so confident. Its old enough it's not causing a lot of probs for me FICO-wise. Maybe it's best to leave this one as it is and chalk it up as a painful learning experience. Never apply for a card if you can't be there on the delivery day! And if you do apply, keep a record of it. And PULL YOUR FREE REPORTS EVERY YEAR! #lessonlearnedthehardway
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question:

Does the report need to be from the juristition where the theft occurred? 

I'm just thinking ahead in case any of the stuff my mom did pops back up, this would be a good route considering they'd probably not pursue the case.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense to the OP but
This nonsense about mail delivery and being home at this time or not is yet another example of misplaced FOCUS.

Again, no offense but we all have to put on our big boy/girl underwear on and OWN simple adult responsibilities....this nonsense about

a) Not checking with or having a CLUE about where this CC 'might' be is just too lame for an adult not to simply admit to screwing up, makes it sound shady.
Especially,when the same person was so conscious of the card coming to make a call concerning it's arrival but we'll leave that alone.

B) Either way in today's world if we are gonna be big enough boys and girls to have accounts YES we have to check on ish more often than we vote for President.
That's just a fact, we can sugarcoat it if we like but if my 18 y.o. daughter were to say something silly 4 years from now about NOT checking in on HER credit profile I would not be happy or that understanding... when I know how freaking Facebook posts and updates probably happened over that 1461 days (including the leap year day)

We need to hold ourselves and friends and family accountable and you guys are my MyFico fan

And the other thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the discovery after 4 years followed by payment vs a fight....

If a woman shows up with a baby one has NO CLUE about, you fight get a DNA test vs just roll over and pay, unless there's more to the story.

Bottom line there are and have been free ways to glance at one's credit just as a once over for years and responsible adults better take a look IMO more than once a year let alone prior to 1400 days.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.