Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do

tag
granny031350
Established Contributor

What should I do

I haven't been on this forum in 2 years.  But I ran into a buzz saw about a year ago.  And now am starting to feel better about things and  need some advice.

I have a closed checking account with BOA.  They have sent it to a collection service because it is 1300.00 in the hole.  Now it isn't ALL my fault.  My Paypal account

was hacked and I had about 100  35.00 charges suddenly showed up.  Then BOA (because my account was already a little negative) charged me 35.00 OD fee for every single one.  Well to make a LONG story short.  Paypal finally reversed and corrected.  HOWEVER BOA still charged me 35.00 OD fees.   I have called them but they charged off my account April 21 and today I received the collection notice.  I have a letter from PAYPAL stating that all OD fees from March 10 through March 21 should be reversed and BOA said (on telephone) that would happen  But it never did.

So today I receive the collection notice.  Well I will pay what I owe but not what I don't owe.  so do I send a DV letter along with the Paypal letter?  And what exactly should I be SURE to include in that letter (cause i can't afford to get sued right now)  

Thank you all.  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

Re: What should I do

How much is the total debt?  You mentioned 100 $35 charges which would put it at about $3500 but you said $1300, so is the CA trying to settle with you or what?

Starting Score: 487
Current Score: Equifax: 586
Experian: 589
Transunion: 602

Overall Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Call the bank and ask them exactly what the charges were for.  It doesn't appear to be related to the Pay Pal account.

The only reason I am saying this is because I had a $500 account CO'd and after all the fees and things they charged before it was COd it, was over $1200.

Message 3 of 10
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

I don't know about that, I've had issues with PayPal in the past screwing with my checking account too.

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I wasn't implying PayPal didn't do something to the account.  What I am implying is that the CO'd amount does not appear to be related to the PayPal mess up because if it was it would be significantly more.

Message 5 of 10
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

I know that once a bounce fee occurs, and once an insufficient funds fee is charged, banks can charge what is known as a continual overdraft fee for as many days or weeks that the account is past due, until it closes.  So did you immediately switch banks and neglect the first one after it first went negative but before the paypal charges?  It kinda sounds like a situation that went from bad to worse.  Also, I think OP was referring to a checking account, not a credit card account.  Am I right?

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I was referring to a checking account also.  You don't get overdraft fees on a CC.

Message 7 of 10
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

Ok, but I kinda was asking for more info from OP.  Smiley Happy  But thank you too, guiness.

Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Shellemilyrose
Valued Member

No worries, you're still loved!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.