cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

tag
750Sometime

What should I do?

I left the country to work about 8 years ago and returned only last year.  Before I left, I canceled everything - EVERYTHING.  On return, I found that my score had dropped to 580 or so.  Over the last year, I have been beefing that score up by doing this:

Secured credit card w/ fee

TD Credit card w/o fee

Barclays credit card w/o fee

Discovered that I had some mysterious Macy's account - paid it off even though it wasn't opened by me.

BOA credit card w/o fee

cancelled secured credit card w/ fee

Discovered that I had some mysterious Tmobile account - paid it off even though it wasn't opened by me.

Discover card w/o fee

American Express premier gold rewards

pulled credit report and it looks like there is nothing else in my credit report that is suspicious.

My score has improved by 100 since then.

Current card utilization is 3%, paid off monthly

Bonus - apparently my old cancelled card didn't fully cancel and it still shows up in credit karma.  oldest is 9 years old.

newest account is 3 months old

Goal:

I want to buy a car and house, which means I need a good score.  What do I need to do to go from a paltry 680 -> 720+  Is it possible to achieve this in 6 months?  What can I optimize?  Suggestions appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What should I do?

By "cancelled" I presume you mean you closed all accounts.

Closed accunts continue to be shown in your credit report unless the creditor chose, afer closing, to delete them from your CR.

They are thus still being scored under AAoA and as your oldest account.

If you had good history with any prior creditor, have you contacted them and requested re-openng?

That might be helpful if the account was a major bank card or had a high credit limit, without adding new accounts that necessarily have an initial age of zero....

Message 2 of 3
750Sometime

Re: What should I do?

The old account was with a bank called Fleet, which Bank of America purchased.  Someone once told me not to touch it, so that it would stay on file as my oldest account.  I have not contacted them regarding reopening that account again.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.