cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do???

tag
MisterAli

What should I do???

Hi I am new to MyFico although I have been viewing the forums for a while. I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in Feb 2014 with a creditkarma score of 517 and recieved discharge paper last week May 2014 my creditkarma score had jumped to 624.

I wanted to waste no time rebuilding. I didnt know how off that score was so i applied for an unsecured cap1 card and was denied. I then went for the secured and was also denied. As a last resort I applied for credit 1 bank preapproval and was denied. 

I finally singed up for mifico and got a score of 542. Is there any card i can get to start reestablishing credit. What about opening a cd and borrowing? Would i even get approved?

My plan was to rebuild enough for a car loun this fall but it doesnt look like it will be that easy. Do i just need to wait and do nothing until the bk isnt so recent?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What should I do???

@MisterAli wrote:

Hi I am new to MyFico although I have been viewing the forums for a while. I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in Feb 2014 with a creditkarma score of 517 and recieved discharge paper last week May 2014 my creditkarma score had jumped to 624.

I wanted to waste no time rebuilding. I didnt know how off that score was so i applied for an unsecured cap1 card and was denied. I then went for the secured and was also denied. As a last resort I applied for credit 1 bank preapproval and was denied. 

I finally singed up for mifico and got a score of 542. Is there any card i can get to start reestablishing credit. What about opening a cd and borrowing? Would i even get approved?

My plan was to rebuild enough for a car loun this fall but it doesnt look like it will be that easy. Do i just need to wait and do nothing until the bk isnt so recent?

The first thing you need to do is pull all 3 reports from the CRAs in hard copy form (get them in the mail) then you need to make sure all your accounts are reporting correctly IIB 0 balance due, there can be no payment history reported after the month of BK filing. Once you have your reports in order I would suggest you look into joining a local CU that offers secured cards, you can also check out St Dept FCU, its a sp to join and if you put the funds in savings and then call to open the secured card it is a sp also. I would also look over the reasons you were denied for these cards but I would suspect its mainly due to errors in reporting of the accounts discharged. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
MisterAli

Re: What should I do???

Okay thanks. I will definately pull those once i get off. I used my free anuals prior to filing bankruptcy. Would anualcreditreport still be my best bet for purchasing?

I should be recieving letters from capitol one but credit ones reasons were

too many accounts reported at zero balance

Too many delinquient accounts

Not enough history 

Too few accounts

As i remember. I should have saved the page. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.