Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I pay Next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I pay Next?

Been slowly rebuilding my credit over the years. Been doing really well I think. I have 4 credit cards, 2 are completely paid off. One has a balance of $1880 ($4000 limit) and the other $5700 ($8000 limit). With my tax return and stimulus Ive gotten a nice savings going and was wondering if I should pay the lower one off or pay a larger portion towards both? Ive never had a late payment and all in good standings.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What should I pay Next?

How much can you pay in total? There are usage percentages that come into play. If you tell us what you can spend, we can come up with a good plan to help you maximize your scoring in return for the paydown.

Message 2 of 9
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

Hey Bowlergt,

To max your score, you should first try and get both account under 30% utilization. You need to bring 4K CC to under 1,200 and the 8k under 2,400. That will boost you score.

Fee

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I dont have enough to do that, I have about $2000 to apply

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying $50 on the balance of $1880 and the other $1950 against the $5700 balance gets both of those down under 47%, which would drop your aggregate and individual usage percentages down through the 49% threshold, with enough headroom that you'll stay under that breakpoint after interest is added. That should be good for 10-15 points I would imagine.

Message 5 of 9
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

Hey Bowlergt,

May I ask which CC has the highest APR%?

Fee

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have asked, what are the limits on the two paid-off cards?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the two paid off ones limits are $2500 and $2150. I finally reached $9,000 in my savings which I was proud of lol but if it helps I can pay a little more on the cards.

No fees on either. Higher balance is 22.9% the lower is 21.9%

Message 8 of 9
FeeBear
Regular Contributor

I honestly follow the Devil's idea. $50 to the lower CC and $1950 to the higher limit. You will save on interest and still boost your score.

Fee

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.