Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps do I take to fix this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What steps do I take to fix this?

Hey everyone, and thanks in advance for your advice. I kind of unkowingly got a credit card at 18 and didn't really know anything about it, so of course, ended up in trouble. I'm 23 now and since I'm almost finished with school and will be pursuing my MBA soon, I really want to know what I should do to start fixing my credit. I honestly didn't know until last night that I could potentially not find a job because of it and I cried most of the night. I knew I needed to take care of the issues but I really didn't think I couldn't get a job because of it, so naturally, I'm TERRIFIED that I'm in a ton of debt for school without the prospect of employment. What should I do? Should I start making DV letters? Pay For Deletes? My credit card baddie is supposed to fall off next year, and I have one or two that are supposed to come off in two years. However, I have some medical bills that aren't supposed to come off until 2018 or so and I need to try to work on these ones also. I haven't had insurance since my parents passed away, and I was an emancipated minor, so obviously I haven't been able to have too strong of a financial start. I really want to get back on track and fix this. If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I need a solid plan of action that is doable in the next three years. Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: What steps do I take to fix this?

Welp

First, visit annualcreditreport.com . You need to know what you're starting with.

Post the details and we'll chime in.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What steps do I take to fix this?

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations
What Steps do I take, DV, PFD or GW
Credit Scoring 101

This will give you an idea of where to start. Good Luck!

Start with pulling your FREE CR's from (ACR) annualcreditreport.com . they tend to have more info on them, then ones from a 3rd   party.   The CR's from ACR, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free CR from TU,EQ and EX every 12 months.

Save your money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

It's not the end of the world, and boy have you come to the right place.  We are here to help you improve your financial fitness and ease some of that stress.

Post some information on your baddies, leave off the account numbers and personal information and let's see where we need to start.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.