cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps to take before paying a judgement?

tag
maxdro2004
Established Member

What steps to take before paying a judgement?

I want to pay my judgment off asap.I will try to settle but will pay full amount if needed.

What do I need to get from the CA in promise of my payment?

I have read about different things to get in writing from them,but would like ideas from people on this forum.

My ultimate goal is of course is to get it totally off my credit report. Is it feasible to ask them for that?

Thanks
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What steps to take before paying a judgement?

If they have a judgement, then you don't have much room.  Judgement gives them leverage to garnish wages and/or assets. 

What worked best for me, was to work with the firm that obtained the judgement against me, and work out a payment plan.  The one time I didn't they garnished wages and locked up assets in my savings account. 

Hopefully someone else knows a way to get a judgement settlement, but just maintain contact before it bites you. 

Message 2 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

.thanks ...hopefully the will work with me.

Message 3 of 39
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

How old is the judgement?  Did it just happen, or is this an old item you're trying clean up?

If its new, you can always negotiate with the firm that got the judgement against you (although you should have negotiated with them before it got to the point of judgement).  They have a court order saying you HAVE to pay $X, so you are in a pretty weak position.   There's always a chance that if you offer to pay 75% (or whatever) in full right now, that they'll agree to request the judgement be vacated (preferably) or satisfied (still a public record, but at least its not open!).  If they don't go for partial, offer full in return for vacating.  Get any such offers in writing...

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 4 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

It's from 2013 ..I will have the means to pay in full so should I offer to payin full for a vacate ..or try to settle then work my up ?
Also the original creditor is still reporting ..how will they know that the debt is paid?

Thanks
Message 5 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

B
Message 6 of 39
wa3more
Established Contributor

this is 4 years old , start low at maybe 40% of total , you will end up at a higher amount. If you start at 75% , you will end up at 90% or more.

Pay lump sum. Some states you may be able to vacate. The judgment and original debt are 2 different things. So you will satisfy the judgment but the original charge off will still be on your credit report. Even if you get the judgment off your credit report, the original charge off will remain.

Message 7 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

Ok thanks ..so I will to have to wait for the charge off to fall off my report?
Are is there a way to get it off?

Fortunately it is close to sol ..I think it is but  alway confused about when exactly that starts? 

Message 8 of 39
maxdro2004
Established Member

Bumpitybump
Message 9 of 39
wa3more
Established Contributor

what state you in and what is DOFD ?

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.