Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Pay Off First?

tag
Meflyman

What to Pay Off First?

Hi,

First, thanks for everything that all of you post--so helpful in so many ways.  My credit scores currently are as follows:  EX--645, TR -- 597, Equifax - 594.  I just sold a car and would like to use the proceeds to boost my credit.  I have 3 collections--an old ATT that reports to all 3 bureaus, and 2 medical collections.  I have an AmEx that's always paid off and the following:  Capital One - 3500 limit, 3000 balance; comenity bank card - 700 limit, 150 balance, Credit one card with a 400 limit and 150 balance; open sky secured card with a 300 limit and 100 balance; wells fargo card with 1000 limit and 800 balance. Last, I have student loans. One with a balance of $600 and one with a balance of $2000.  I was paid $4000 for the car.  Any ideas? All are much appreciated!  I should mention that my goal is to boost my credit score.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: What to Pay Off First?

What is your goal?

Increase credit score?

Pay down debt?

Get rid of collections?

Your goals will help determine which is best to pay off first.

Either way, it's usually best to pay off the highest interest item first as that will save you the most money in the long run.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 6
Meflyman

My goal is to boost credit scores!

Message 3 of 6
saltlakere
Valued Member

@Meflyman wrote:

Hi,

First, thanks for everything that all of you post--so helpful in so many ways.  My credit scores currently are as follows:  EX--645, TR -- 597, Equifax - 594.  I just sold a car and would like to use the proceeds to boost my credit.  I have 3 collections--an old ATT that reports to all 3 bureaus, and 2 medical collections.  I have an AmEx that's always paid off and the following:  Capital One - 3500 limit, 3000 balance; comenity bank card - 700 limit, 150 balance, Credit one card with a 400 limit and 150 balance; open sky secured card with a 300 limit and 100 balance; wells fargo card with 1000 limit and 800 balance. Last, I have student loans. One with a balance of $600 and one with a balance of $2000.  I was paid $4000 for the car.  Any ideas? All are much appreciated!  I should mention that my goal is to boost my credit score.

Thanks in advance.

If the collections are old, I would ignore them. From what I see, your biggest problem is utilization. Pay down Cap 1 and Wells first. Student loans are counted as installment loans and don't affect utilization. I would then pay down and possibly close your subprime/secured cards AFTER you've raised your scores and replaced these with regular cards. My 2 pence.

Message 4 of 6
nmjacobs
Contributor

My experience has been that paying down utilization has bumped scores way more than getting negative accounts off.
Message 5 of 6
nmjacobs
Contributor

Trying paying down all cards but one to $0. Leave a tiny balance on one card.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.