Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about medical collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do about medical collections

I started rebuilding my credit in September 2017. My score has seriously improved, by 360+ points, however I don't really know what to do at this moment. I have some things I am considering but I am not sure. I have never felt the need to join (I always prefer being just a reader) and I knew I didn't really need anything. I wanted to see what was the best thing to do and I was doing all the things on the list I read (ABC's list). I am not stuck at the moment, I have an idea, but I am not sure if it is the best thing I can do. I have several... several medical collections. I can't say the dates exactly cause they could be wrong, I got them from the experian but they are as follows

Advantage Financial services- 145 and 314. (Will both fall off in May 2022 and Feb 2023)

Professional finance company- 126 and 517. (Will both fall off in Jan 2023 and Feb 2023)

Collection bureau Inc- 141 and 214 (I don't know the dates but the DOFD is Sep 2014 and Apr 2015)

FMS inc- 68, 175, 454, and 562. (Will all fall off in Oct 2022, Jan 2023, Nov 2022, and Jan 2023)

*They all update every single month, without fail, sometimes twice a month.

FMS inc- 102, 181, 198, 546, and 1781. (The date I got treatment May 2015, Jun 2015, Aug 2015, Aug 2015, and Jun 2015) *These were deleted off my report and seemingly sent back to the original creditor. I only suspect it was because the accounts on there bill pay service went from closed to due now. However it again shows closed so I suspect they will end back up on my report, which is why I am including them. I never even celebrated these coming off because I knew they could potentially come back, and I appear to be right, but so far not yet.

In the above collections, I have never once received a bill in the mail from any of them or received any calls. However as of a couple days ago Advantage Financial decided to leave a message on my voicemail. That is the only one to ever make such contact with me. I am frightened by there message if I am being honest, and that is what has lead me to finally joining because I am not sure what I should do. I am concerned about being sued so I need to do something I believe.

I am considering getting a personal loan to pay back all of those collections, I would do a long loan presumably 60 months so that I can afford the payment. I wouldn't take 60 months to pay it, I can't really say how long it would take to repay, but presumably 2 years at least. Not the full amount for sure, that is just to make it so I could possibly afford it. I don't like the idea of that but at this point I have wanted to do something, and now with the threat of possibly being sued, it is really something I need to consider. If I were to get one it would be a secured personal loan through wells fargo (is that a personal finance account, I see that every time being listed as bad on here a lot) and it would be for 5k to 5.6k with the terms of 60 month repayment period. (As I said I would pay it back sooner just not sure how much sooner) Does that sound good? Maybe I couldn't even be approved for what I am asking for, I have no clue honestly.

Just to run through a couple things that I see frequently mentioned as I read this forum (I am literally always on here reading something.) 

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care (I qualified back when I got these I believe however I believe I am way to late for that?)
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment (I don't really know what to say, I have emailed some but haven't given any personal info as I don't want to be sued so no response back.)
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer (I have never done this, and I don't know how to do this. I really don't want to be sued and I would mess it up since I don't understand the process.)
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help (I literally have to be dumb because I don't understand this at all. I google that and I go to the correct page however I don't understand anything on that page. It is EXTREMELY confusing to me)

I feel like I need to give some more information, so I am just going to throw some things in here at the end, (wow I really did not mean to write this many things. This is really all over the place, I apologize in advance.)

Fico score- EX 683, Trans- 694, and EQ- 682

Payment history- 100% on them all (probably not accurate)

Amount of debt- 127k student loan in repayment (never will be able to pay it off, I am on an income based payment plan.) 1700 revolving credit card debt.

Credit history length- 6 years and 2 months

Amount of new credit- EX 9m and 3 inq, Trans 9m and EQ 9m and 2 inq

Collections accounts- Ex 9, Trans 11, and EQ 4

Side note I am in Idaho, what is my statute of limitations for the medical collections, I am not sure if it is 4 years or 5 years. Also Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything that is important.

Oh wait I should say the cards I have, my bad. 

Credit card- Capital one 2250 (was my 1st card and started at 500), Discover 12000 (was my 2nd card and started at 11000), Wells fargo 4500 (was my 3rd card and is 5500), American express 1000 (was my 4th card and hasn't moved) 

*capital one was got in Sep 2017, and the other three were got Jun 2018. 

Hopefully I really haven't forgotten anything now.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do about medical collections

Did you know it’s a HIPPA violation to report your Medical records to a collection agency?
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say you have a better handle on things than you give yourself credit for. The steps you laid out, 1 to 4, are solid.

Sounds like you have $20k CL spanning credit card accounts, with <10% utilization?

Those collections you listed, are those the amounts you owe (145, 314, 126, 517, 141, 214, 68, 175, 454 and 562)?  So $2.7k-ish?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes my utilization is under 10%, it is normally under 5% but had a medical thing and didn't want another collection so put it on card. It is almost paid off now. Should be all paid off by The start of June. Yes they are the amounts I owe, and the ones that the other fms ones that have been "deleted" I suspect will very soon be back on my report. So in total it is 5600 I owe to medical collections. Right now it is in fact only 2700, but I know it is only a matter of time before the others are back.

To the other person, no I am not aware of that, however I do not have any understanding of that method. It is very confusing to me so I wouldn't have any idea what a violation for that would be. However I can say specifically that I do not think in my case hippa is something I can do, maybe I am wrong if so someone can let me know, but the reason I do not think I can use that method is because they have specific language about that on each collection website and the hospitals contract regarding collections mentions hippa and how they only share the codes or something. Which I don't believe is the case. If I could do that method, how do I know if I am eligible and how could I actually learn how to do it properly?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google "tough nickel medical collections". Her write-up and advice is excellent. I read it top to bottom three or four times, taking notes to myself. Then I read it again! You are right, there is a lot of new language and process, but take your time through it.

Once I understood her approach, I laid out my plan and executed. Within two months my DW's medical collections were wiped clean from EX and TU, and one currently in dispute on EQ.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can concur with that. I sent HIPAA letters to TU and EQ 8 days ago. Yesterday I got a NerdWallet alert that my TU score and report changed. Sure enough, all three medicals in TU were deleted just from the pre-HIPAA letter. Waiting on a response from EQ for the one I have on there now.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, I am familiar with the HIPPA letters to send to CA's but not of a letter to send to the CRA's. Would you mind sharing the letter you sent to the CRA's?

Thanks

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We aren’t allowed to discuss it on the forums but if you google “whychat hipaa process” you’ll find templates and instructions there.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
We aren’t allowed to discuss it on the forums but if you google “whychat hipaa process” you’ll find templates and instructions there.

Thanks

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't think on my case it is possible or worth hippa process. I don't know, seems some on here are for it and some aren't. I have actually read that page you mentioned many times and it seems very easy but in my case I don't think it's an option worth doing based on this response from the author themselves.

Shannon thanks for the comment. This can be effective in some cases for those who are just trying to get out of a debt they do in fact owe. However, their debt would then just be reported by another entity in most cases, or the original creditor will in some cases begin reporting the debt again.

In the rest of her comment she mentions already paid for accounts being placed in collections throughout the years and getting rid of them with the hippa method. Obviously in that case it's been paid so going through the process makes perfect sense. I know these are valid debts and are simply unpaid.

I definitely need to do something but I don't think in my case hippa is appropriate, maybe I'm wrong but based on the comment from the author I would guess I'm not.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.