Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do now?

tag
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

What to do now?

I have been slowly, but surely rebuilding over the past few years. I started my rebuild by adding new credit. I got two secured cards, a loan from Self and started building with that. I have been able to get back in the game good since 2018. I now have an auto loan at 4%, two Amex cards, unsecured my credit union cc and other I have a few other good lines. All collections are gone as well. Now I am down to three "OC" bad accounts. They will age off in 23 months. What are the odds of me getting them removed before then? I know ocs don't typically accept pfd offers. I have Discover, Open SKY CC and Southeast Toyota to tackle. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What to do now?

I'm assuming all 3 still have balances on them? You're right, unfortunately it's not at all likely they'll PFD. Still, paying them would go a long way towards boosting scores because the revolving accounts at least will stop factoring into your utilization as maxed accounts. Also, if these are updating monthly, the monthly updates will stop.

Alternatively, you could just wait them out since they're around 2 years away from falling off. Just be sure you're outside the SOL so that you don't run the risk of getting sued.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know where you are located. But if you're in NY, google the 5 year purge law. NY might be the only state with that exception. 

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know where you are located. But if you're in NY, google the 5 year purge law. NY might be the only state with that exception. 

I believe they are the only state with such a law, yes. However, the purge law only applies to PAID collections and charge offs. So OP, if they are located in NY, would have to pay those accounts off first and wait for them to report as paid. Only then could they ask for that.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.