cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with these satisfied letters? And which CC?

tag
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

What to do with these satisfied letters? And which CC?

My fiancée just got her report back, her score was 632, she claimed bankruptcy 3 years in Jan and was able to purchase a car with a massive down payment so she's had a car payment for about year, only credit history she has. She's in a much much better financial situation then she was before. So my question is what can she do now? Which CC would probably accept her?

She also had a few collections that were in her bankruptcy but she just got letters stating the accounts have been satisfied. Who does she send them too? What's the next process for that?

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What to do with these satisfied letters? And which CC?

For the collections that had the debt discharged in BK, any party having existing reporting on that debt is required to update the debt/collection balance to $0.

Discharge of the debt, either by payment or BK, does not compel deletion of any reported derogs on the account that occured prior to discharge.

If the collections arent now reporting $0 balance and closed status, they have the statutory obligation to promptly update their reporting.  Being as the collection is closed, they have little incentive to follow through, so you might need to push.

If informal requests dont result in their voluntary update, you can always file a direct dispute, compelling them to take action within 30'ish days.

Message 2 of 8
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

ok then well lets hope they are nice. 

also any idea what CC she can apply for that? Or should she go with a store card? 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one... if she doesnt get approved (most likely will)

DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY OTHER CREDIT

Instead open up at least 1 secured credit car with maybe local credit union or Wells Fargo... 

WF will turn into an unsecured credit card and return the security deposit back after 1 year of on time payments...

THats what I would do if i could go back in time..

Going out trying to apply for every credit card that accepts bad or rebuilding credit cost me abotu 15 inquiries before i realized secured was the way to go...

apply for CAP1 if they dont approve go with secured card

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

card*

Message 5 of 8
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

how can she find out they are off her CR? Does she need to pull it again? She had an inquiry when we did an online mortgage thing for a new house on Oct 26. She also might have done one of those experian phone ones. So we are waiting to see if that credit report has details of the letters she got. If they don't we will wait a few weeks then look at her report. Will all this hurt her credit?

Message 6 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Have you been to www.annualcreditreport.com ?  This the  federally mandated report that you get once a year at no cost.  It's not like those other ones that claim to be free if you sign up for their service.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 8
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

No, she has not pulled her report from annualcreditreport. She has only on the experian phone line were it ask for your ssn and then the mortgage lender did in Oct

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.