cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with this medical collection?

tag
midwestgirl44
Contributor

What to do with this medical collection?

I have a medical collection from a few years ago (within SOL). Every year we've paid off a huge chunk of outstanding debt and this year we are able to pay off the remainder of our baddies.

I contacted the OC to pay them directly, however, they said the debt is no longer on their books. I asked if they've been paid by the CA and they told me no, meaning they wrote off the original debt and do not have retrievable records of it any longer.

The CA is still attempting to collect this debt, but it seems they don't own it, yet are still attempting to collect on behalf of the OC. The OC also informed me that if any payment is made to them they would just forward it to the CA.

My questions is, if the OC doesn't have any record of the debt and the CA hasn't bought the debt, does that mean the CA still has a legal right to collect and report the debt as outstanding. I've attempted to dispute this a few months ago just to validate the debt and it came back verified. Now I'm wondering how they were able to verify it.

What should I do in this case? Should I attempt to dispute it again, do I take the HIPAA route, etc.?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gagum129
Regular Contributor

Re: What to do with this medical collection?

I would send them a debt validation letter. If they can not validate the debt then dispute it.

Starting Score: 582
Current Score:
Equifax 684 MyFico 10/10/11
Transunion 659 lender pull 7/6/11
Experian 690 lender pull 7/6/11

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
rayandsuebrown
Established Member

Re: What to do with this medical collection?

I also came to that with creditors, they would tell CRA that they are valid. When I sent a DV letter they couldn't. Off the records it goes.

Starting Score: 438
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 620

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Fico challenge is based on Equifax and Trans union score is 532
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.