cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do?

tag
komatoez

What to do?

I am hoping to buy a house in the next few months and checked my credit, which is doing OK.  My current FICO score for Equifax is 744 and TU is 716.  The situation is that I have two separate collections that each only show on 1 CRAs report (TU and Experian).  They are both for medical bills that have been paid.  I also have two BofA credit accounts that both had serious delinquincies over 5 years ago that are reported to all 3 CRAs (both of these have been paid and accounts closed).  I would like to fix one of these baddies, with my belief being that if I fix one, it will be enough to push the score for either TU or Equifax over 720, allowing me to get a better rate.

My question is, how do I proceed with this while minimizing the risk of my score going lower due to CAs reporting to additional CRAs?  Which of these 3 accounts do you think would be most worthwhile to GW?

1.  BofA- 2 accounts each with 120+ day delinquincies from 5.5+ years ago that report to 3 CRAs.  These accounts were paid off through hardship program in 2011 and closed  This to me is the least risky since all 3 CRAs already have the info, but the least likely to be successful since it's BofA.

2. Medical account (paid) that is listed on the credit report as coming directly from the hospital listed on Experian only.  I feel like this might be my best option, since it's directly from a small rural hospital.  I'm nervous though that they will decide to report to all CRAs, thus ruining my one good score.

2. Medical account through a CA (paid) listed on TU only.  I'm nervous though that they will decide to report to all CRAs, thus ruining my one good score.

Any advice that any of you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Re: What to do?

There is a HIPPA process that people have used to get medical collections removed from their reports. Google "hippa process to remove collections" for more information.

Additionally, you can contact the OC (original creditor) directly and ask them to remove the item from your credit report since it has been paid. Most hospitals would be willing to do that without a problem. I would suggest going this route first.

If you're diligent, you can likely get all the medical items off your reports.

Regarding BoA, since its a 120+ late from 5.5 years ago, its not likely messing much with your scores now. They should age off in a year and half anyway. Lates generally have less affect on your score the odler they get, and as they approach the 7 year mark, they have little to no affect with creditors who do manual reviews.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 2 of 6
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

2. Medical account (paid) that is listed on the credit report as coming directly from the hospital listed on Experian only.  I feel like this might be my best option, since it's directly from a small rural hospital.  I'm nervous though that they will decide to report to all CRAs, thus ruining my one good score. Send Good Will letter

2. Medical account through a CA (paid) listed on TU only.  I'm nervous though that they will decide to report to all CRAs, thus ruining my one good score. Send Good Will letter

Medical Bills are some of the easiest to get removed after it is paid.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 3 of 6
komatoez

In my GW letters, should I ask if they would remove the collection from all 3 CRAs, or just the one that is listed on?

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 5 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

A 120 day late is a MAJOR derogatory and can afftect your credit score for up to 7 yrs.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.