Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do

tag
MuddyGrimes
Valued Member

What to do

Just got an email from freecreditreport.com saying I had a change to my credit report.....logged in and saw a collection that I have never heard of...

do I click the dispute button on freecreditreport or do I mail a DV letter to the CA?

thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do

DV, DV, DV!

NEVER just fire off on the "Dispute" button. If the CA updates, you'll find yourself with a lower FICO score (since FICO will see the old, verified collection as "new"). However, if the CA **can't** validate the debt, it will be removed from your CRs.

DVing the path of least FICO pain. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

agreed, DV, DV , DV in writing, CMRRR. never talk to the phone with them.

if you believe the TL is bogus, or out CTRP, you could also send an ITS letter for FCRA violation.

Message 3 of 8
MuddyGrimes
Valued Member

Shouldn't I be getting or already have received something in the mail about this?  It was my understanding that it would have to be first "delivered" to me that I potentially owe this debt, before it could be reported to a credit bureau? 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MuddyGrimes wrote:

Shouldn't I be getting or already have received something in the mail about this?  It was my understanding that it would have to be first "delivered" to me that I potentially owe this debt, before it could be reported to a credit bureau? 

Unfortunately, I think it kind of stands to reason that if it's not YOUR account, the address/contact info wouldn't be correct, either.

I mean, if your name is Sam Smith and the name on the account is Sam Smith -- it just happens to be the Sam Smith that lives in the next city over -- it would make "sense" that the mail containing the insertion notice wouldn't go to YOUR address.

Believe it or not, this happens A LOT. Really.

Usually happens with family members (Junior & Senior, for one example), but sometimes, it can just be a matter of a name that's similar, but for two people on opposite sides of the US.

I think its caused by skip-tracers who just are .... lazy. They searched for "Sam Smith," your name came up, and they ran with it and used YOUR info. It happens. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

MuddyGrimes,

you are right - if this is the first time you hear from them, within 5 days from making contact with you (reporting IS contact), they should have sent you a dunning letter - a mini miranda informing you of the alleged debt and giving you 30 days to dispute.

The fact that they didn't send one, is considered a violation of the FDCPA 809 and bear a civil fine of $1,000 payable to the consumer.

Message 6 of 8
MuddyGrimes
Valued Member

demed,

So I can "expect" to be recieving something in the mail here shortly.  

The date on the Credit Alert with Experian was 11/16

So should I wait a couple of days then DV or should I DV now? 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

waiting 3 or 4 days is not going to harm you, just give you more ammo. in any case would also make sure the debt is invalida, past SOL or both. I woudl make sure this not something i could get sued for if I awake a sleeping giant.

then I would DV. And would get ready to ITS and sue myself. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.