Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do?

tag
gotcredit
Established Member

What would you do?

I'm figuring out if it makes economic sense to pay off old debts. Since most of the derogs will fall off in ~2 years (TX - 7 years), I'm not sure the cost outweights the benefit. More details below. 

Derog 1 - reporting monthly

Charge-off

Balance: $1,100

Settlement: $550

Derog 2-5 - reporting monthly

4 Collections (same agency)

Balance: $3,000

Settlement: $1,000

Derog 7-8 - reporting monthly

2 Collections (same agency)

Settlement: $1,650

Total cost (settlement): $3,200

I've considered getting a car so naturally I'll save on interest with a higher score. I also run a business but not sure that I'll need access to capital in the next year. Also, no plans on purchasing a primary residence, but maybe a rental property.

What would you do? Wait a few years and let the debts fall off, or pay the ~3200?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What would you do?

@gotcredit wrote:

I'm figuring out if it makes economic sense to pay off old debts. Since most of the derogs will fall off in ~2 years (TX - 7 years), I'm not sure the cost outweights the benefit. More details below. 

Derog 1 - reporting monthly

Charge-off

Balance: $1,100

Settlement: $550

Derog 2-5 - reporting monthly

4 Collections (same agency)

Settlement: $1,000

Derog 7-8 - reporting monthly

2 Collections (same agency)

Settlement: $1,650

Total cost (settlement): $3,200

I've considered getting a car so naturally I'll save on interest with a higher score. I also run a business but not sure that I'll need access to capital in the next year. Also, no plans on purchasing a primary residence, but maybe a rental property.

What would you do? Wait a few years and let the debts fall off, or pay the ~3200?

Paying/settling CAs will not help your scores. Who are the CAs? They all need to PFD. That is when you will see a score boost - when the last CA comes off (regarding CAs).

I would definitely settle the CO. That should hopefully help your score some.

Message 2 of 9
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

I would repay the debts simply from a moral/integrity standpoint, if I were financially able to. 

@Anonymous already gave a nice explanation for increasing your scores with the payments. If you can afford it and can get the collections to delete, then it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Exactly what Hoss says, it's the CO that weighs the heaviest.  Here in the mortgage industry we'd tell you that the CO has to be paid where most likely the automated system wouldn't require you to pay off CA's (most times it would hurt your score because you re-age the account unless you PFD).

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MauiMan85297 wrote:

Exactly what Hoss says, it's the CO that weighs the heaviest.  Here in the mortgage industry we'd tell you that the CO has to be paid where most likely the automated system wouldn't require you to pay off CA's (most times it would hurt your score because you re-age the account unless you PFD).

Nothing can re-age the DoFD (date of first of delinquency) - paid, partially paid, or unpaid.

Just tge presence of a CA puts you on a PR (public record) scorecard and weighs your scores down heavily.

I went from over a dozen CAs last year down to 3. As each came off, I saw 0-3 pts for each. Mostly zero score change.

My SO (significant other) had quite a fee CAs, too, and when his last one came off, that is when he saw a good score bump. 30pts +/-. This is with still 2 COs present at the time. His scores have started to rebound nicely since the last CA came off. EQ still has 1 CA and that bureau's scores seem to have the most issue, even though EQ has the least number of lates (by 30!) and derog accounts overall.

Message 5 of 9
House2021
Established Contributor

Who owns accounts 2-5? That's an excellent settlement offer, don't suppose its Portfolio, Midland, or Cavalry is it?

Message 6 of 9
gotcredit
Established Member

LVNV Funding

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LVNV is open to PFDs - paying them off could mean they're gone in two months rather than two years...

Message 8 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

LVNV is open to PFDs - paying them off could mean they're gone in two months rather than two years...

+1

And who owns accounts 6-8?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.