cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats better? Upping the score- Score updates included...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats better? Upping the score- Score updates included...

I am trying to figure out which will boost my score the most....

I have several CCs (12)

One is paid off

One is about 52% UTIL

The rest are basically maxed (98-100% UTIL).   Total owed is close to $16K - I have the ability to toss $10K at them on Nov 7.

What is better? 

Having more paid off in full - having 7 paid in full and 5 still high UTIL (89-90%)? or

Pay more to each card and so they are all under between 60-65% Util. but  pay off the smallest 2 (small balances (less than $600 each) paying in full no matter what!) -

I need the biggest bump possible ASAP. (Rental Application due to separation)

I'm basically at 625's across the board and need to hit 650 to avoid a co-signer

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

Re: Whats better? Upping the score

i personally would get every card to at least less than 88% util. Then payoff what you can with whats left

Message 2 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@tubbynerd wrote:

i personally would get every card to at least less than 88% util. Then payoff what you can with whats left

+1 agreed

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone..... wish me luck!

Message 4 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to figure out which will boost my score the most....

I have several CCs (12)

One is paid off

One is about 52% UTIL

The rest are basically maxed (98-100% UTIL).   Total owed is close to $16K - I have the ability to toss $10K at them on Nov 7.

What is better? 

Having more paid off in full - having 7 paid in full and 5 still high UTIL (89-90%)? or

Pay more to each card and so they are all under between 60-65% Util. but  pay off the smallest 2 (small balances (less than $600 each) paying in full no matter what!) -

I need the biggest bump possible ASAP. (Rental Application due to separation)

I'm basically at 625's across the board and need to hit 650 to avoid a co-signer

Each and every card over 89% is the killer. Looks like 10 of them. Get them below 89% first. Use the rest of the cash and pay down the highest APR cards equally. Just getting 10 cards below the threshold just might break the 650 mark. Then add any others that hit the next lower threshold you'll gain even more points. Come back and update us. Yes we wish you luck. Shouldnt be a problem unless there are any baddies in the background.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.....the paydowns/offs go this week..... I'll let ya know - and FYI - no baddies in the background - just HIGH util.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok - payments were made late last night/early this AM!   I ended up paying off 6 in full - and getting the rest under the 88% UTIL.   I know I need the score bump - but I also need less interest and min payments so I can tackle the remaining $9500 left to pay....so I did a combination.  

I'll let you know the bump as soon as I know something - as soon as stuff starts reporting I'm going to CCT for the $1 and find out a mid month score!    I'm using CK (I know) to see when the amounts update and then will run the real scores once they do! 

FICO 8 Scores as of now (from my credit cards)

EQ 631

EX 625

TU 625

Message 7 of 23
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Great job and good luck, very interested to see what happens!

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 8 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Awesome. Once you see a score change. That will give you move incentive to get the rest paid down. Yes report back please!

Message 9 of 23
tlittlejohn
Established Member

Good Afternoon,

I am following this post being that I too have high util and following the rules on the post to try and decrease them. Good Luck on reporting day

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.