Did you mean: 

Whats my next move.. Home ownership goals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats my next move.. Home ownership goals

Im looking to buy a home in the next 2-3 years
Ive got my scores from the 550s to now 660s

I have one 87 dollar charge off from Montgomery Wards from 2015.. No other baddies

3 recently opened CCs (within 6 months)
Walmart store card 500 cl
Cap one. Quicksilver 300 cl
Ebay MC 300 cl

Utilization is at 13% paid off every month

One Smile brand finance paid off in good standing no lates.

I dont drive so no auto or personal loans..

Do i just work getting these cards limits up or open more tradelines as well and let them age for the 3 years..

Ive been told I have a "thin" report..
I am also fixed income on Social security..

Whats the opinion of the credit builder loans? Ive heard mixed reviews like they hurt after they are paid off..

Looking for general advice
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats my next move.. Home ownership goals

Is the charge off paid? If not pay it otherwise you should probably just garden and let stuff age. Utilization should be under 8.9% but you are not far off it now.

You are taking a hit by not having a loan. Opening it would likely help your scores in the near term, but once it's paid off then you would take the no open installment loan hit. Opening one may help you get some CLI's which could help pad the utilization.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not paid yet.. What should I say to the company? What do I need to ask for to get it removed or edited in the most positive way? Im pretty new at this.. Forgive me
Message 3 of 6
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

When is the last time it updated on your reports? You could try a pay for delete which would be ideal if they would accept one. Paid always looks better, but keep in mind if it has not updated for a while, then paying it would update and would likely cause a dip in scores. Any drop would only be temporary and allow you to come back stronger later as it ages. 

Current 5/28/20:

Next Goal all over 800
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

July of 2015 was its last report.. Does pay for delete literally remove it all together?
Message 5 of 6
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Yeh, a pay for delete gets it gone completely. That is what you ideally want. Since its been a few years and this is under a 100 bucks, then it may not be hurting you bad. I'm not sure if you should poke the bear or not. Most mortgage underwriters will not approve anything without you paying off any outstanding collections so you may run into that if its not paid. Perhaps some others will have some better advice on what to do here.

Current 5/28/20:

Next Goal all over 800
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.