cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I pay the Original Debtor instead of CA - does the CA still have rights to report?

tag
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

When I pay the Original Debtor instead of CA - does the CA still have rights to report?

I had three medical collections from our Pediatrician, 2 for $25 and a $590 one. 
I never received any notices, went to multiple appointments in between and never knew about these. 

I happened to log in thru patient portal under my son's name to get some test results and noticed the bills past due so I paid them right away, online thru the portal. I looked at my credit report and a Collections Agency is still reporting them. 

I've disputed them and they came back and "correct". Question is, how do I stop them from reporting? I've also called and they're one of those abusive companies who don't really give a flying unicorn. 

TIA - 

Starting score May 2015 500's across the boards
Now - 610 EQ 598 TU 597 EX
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When I pay the Original Debtor instead of CA - does the CA still have rights to report?

Too late now to use the steps you now have to use a goodwill letter to the CAs to ask that they remove. Yes they have the right to report unless the OC recalls them.

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 2 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: When I pay the Original Debtor instead of CA - does the CA still have rights to report?

If you paid the doctor's office directly and they accepted payment, they need to recall the debt from the collection agency. Once that happens the collection agency should delete the negative tradeline. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, paying the original creditor does not require removal of or prevent the reporting of a related collection by the assigned debt collector.  It only requires that the collection be updated to show closed, paid, and $0 balance.

The CRA reporting manual, for example, clearly instructs debt collectors NOT to delete their collection based on payment of the debt, regardless of whether it is paid to the creditor or debt collector.

Deletion of a collection is only mandated if the debt collector's collection authority is terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.  That CRA policy does not apply to the situation where the debt is paid to the creditor.

That deletion policy exists to prevent a subsequent collection to then report on the same debt, which can occur if the debt remains unpaid.  

A creditor must terminate the assignment of collection authority prior to any payment of the debt in order for that CRA deletion policy to then apply.

After you pay the debt, there is no longer any active collection authority that can be terminated ("recalled").

Thus, the collection cannot be required to be removed after payment is made.

Contact the debt collector and request their consideration of a good-will deletion.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

No, paying the original creditor does not require removal of or prevent the reporting of a related collection by the assigned debt collector.  It only requires that the collection be updated to show closed, paid, and $0 balance.

The CRA reporting manual, for example, clearly instructs debt collectors NOT to delete their collection based on payment of the debt, regardless of whether it is paid to the creditor or debt collector.

Deletion of a collection is only mandated if the debt collector's collection authority is terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.  That CRA policy does not apply to the situation where the debt is paid to the creditor.

That deletion policy exists to prevent a subsequent collection to then report on the same debt, which can occur if the debt remains unpaid.  

A creditor must terminate the assignment of collection authority prior to any payment of the debt in order for that CRA deletion policy to then apply.

After you pay the debt, there is no longer any active collection authority that can be terminated ("recalled").

Thus, the collection cannot be required to be removed after payment is made.

Contact the debt collector and request their consideration of a good-will deletion.

How can a collection company have a collection for a debt that no longer exists?

Message 5 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A reported collection does not require that it currrently be active (i.e., the debt remains unpaid).

A collection can be reported at any time after the debt collector obtains collection authority, and the reported current status of open or closed, paid or unpaid, along with the current balance, tells you whether or not it is still active.

Paying of a debt terminates active collection authority, but does not require that a reported collection be deleted.

It still advises others that, at some point, a debt collector was assisting in collection on the debt.

Message 6 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

A reported collection does not require that it currrently be active (i.e., the debt remains unpaid).

A collection can be reported at any time after the debt collector obtains collection authority, and the reported current status of open or closed, paid or unpaid, along with the current balance, tells you whether or not it is still active.

Paying of a debt terminates active collection authority, but does not require that a reported collection be deleted.

It still advises others that, at some point, a debt collector was assisting in collection on the debt.

If the medical office recalls the debt, the collection can be removed from the CRA. It happened to a co-worker.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@sjt wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

If the medical office recalls the debt, the collection can be removed from the CRA. It happened to a co-worker.

The recall has to be done prior to paying off the debt. What Robert is saying is, the collection agency can still report the debt since it was assigned and never recalled. They're just required to report it accurately. So, now that the debt is paid, they have to report a 0 balance. The debt can't be recalled anymore because there's nothing to recall, it's been paid.

Message 8 of 14
Katheryne88
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone. 
I had just successfully gotten Capital One and Synchrony to goodwill 2x 30day lates from my accounts and got encouraged to submit a goodwill to the Dr. Office. 

maybe they can recall the debt even after it has been paid by some miracle. 

Starting score May 2015 500's across the boards
Now - 610 EQ 598 TU 597 EX
Message 9 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Katheryne88 wrote:

Thanks everyone. 
I had just successfully gotten Capital One and Synchrony to goodwill 2x 30day lates from my accounts and got encouraged to submit a goodwill to the Dr. Office. 

maybe they can recall the debt even after it has been paid by some miracle. 

Congrats!

Who is the collection agency? 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.