Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a late payment gets older, is it put into a different scoring "bracket?"

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

When a late payment gets older, is it put into a different scoring "bracket?"

I keep hearing that late payments that are three years old or more are not "current lates."

What does this mean?

I also keep hearing that 180 day lates will affect your score for the full seven years that they are on your file.  I know late payments hurt your score less as they age but is there any truth to the idea that late payments fall into different "scoring brackets" as they get older and older?

It would be nice if my 180 day lates were not used against me three or four years into the seven year period.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: When a late payment gets older, is it put into a different scoring "bracket?"

30 and 60 day lates are minor derogatories and the impact of those generally have no affect after 2 years.  These lates may be overlooked by lenders as not being current lates.

Anything 90 days and older a major derogatories and will impact your score for nearly 7 years.  Even though the impact may lessen with time they are still scored against you as long as they are on your report. 

As for the scorecard or bucket, I believe you stay in the major derogatory bucket until they are gone.

Message 2 of 9
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Re: When a late payment gets older, is it put into a different scoring "bracket?"

Does "major derogatory" mean no new credit?

I guess what I'm asking is I'm trying to figure out what I can and cannot do with these "major derogatories" while they are reporting.

Message 3 of 9
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

Have you tried writing a GW letter to get them removed?

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 9
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

the 180 day lates are student loan lates with Sallie Mae.  They said there is no way in hell they will be removed.

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Being scored by FICO is one thing, what a creditor may or may not think is something else. 

Some creditors will approve or deny on score alone while others will do the same by actually looking at your report and determining your credit worthiness.  What one creditor may say is old, another may not.

Everything about credit, obtaining and maintaining, is a YMMV thing. 

Message 6 of 9
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Do all CC companies go by the computer or will a human manually review your file?

It seems like wherever you go for a CC, it's all about a computerized decision--at least the initial decision.

Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the creditor.  Sometimes they use an UW, sometimes it's just an automatic computer assessment.  If denied, you can always call for a recon.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

What exactly do you tell them when you call for a reconsideration?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.