Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When all else fails

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When all else fails

The 16th will be exactly one month post discharge.

I have tryed everything to gain a line of credit to rebuild, secured and non secured. I can't get anything.

What do I need to do moving forward? At this point I just want to give up because I'm sick of getting dinged with inquiries and being told no, but I have to get this together if I ever want to buy a home for my family (I make 68k a year alone and plan on having a significant down payment in 3 years)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When all else fails

I believe Open Sky is a no credit check secured card. You might give that a try. It's the closest thing to a guaranteed approval. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tryed everything to gain a line of credit to rebuild, secured and non secured. I can't get anything.

What do I need to do moving forward? At this point I just want to give up because I'm sick of getting dinged with inquiries and being told no, but I have to get this together if I ever want to buy a home for my family (I make 68k a year alone and plan on having a significant down payment in 3 years)

Too many inquiries will definitely hurt.

Open sky is an aption, as mentioned above.

I would do preapprocals instead of cold apping and fetting hit with inquiries so you can better gauge your chances of an approval.

Cap One and Disco are good options that have pre approval websites. When a pre-apprpval pops up, that is when you should go for it. It may take a month or two to let all those inquiries cool off.

Message 3 of 5
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Open Sky is a good start for a secured card. Use them for about a year as a starter. Self is also a good start to rebuild, which can also allow you to open a secure card with them after 3 payments. While the choice would be yours, I probably would suggest Self since it would add a loan to your credit report and the ability to open a secured card down the road with them and once you complete your payments you will get them back along with any interested that accure on the CD, unless you been pushing what was there into the secured card with them, otherwise OpenSky is the next best option. Keep in mind, neither will graduate. Avoid applying for the lower subprime cards like CreditOne, Applied Bank, etc., if all possible. Do not go on a AppSpree either. I dont know how many inquiries you have currently but let everything, including your BK, age. 

Best of luck!

EDIT: Just as a little note, Self has Credit Builder Loans so its not like a regular loan you would get from a bank.  

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@silver_idle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Open Sky is a good start for a secured card. Use them for about a year as a starter. Self is also a good start to rebuild, which can also allow you to open a secure card with them after 3 payments. While the choice would be yours, I probably would suggest Self since it would add a loan to your credit report and the ability to open a secured card down the road with them and once you complete your payments you will get them back along with any interested that accure on the CD, unless you been pushing what was there into the secured card with them, otherwise OpenSky is the next best option. Keep in mind, neither will graduate. Avoid applying for the lower subprime cards like CreditOne, Applied Bank, etc., if all possible. Do not go on a AppSpree either. I dont know how many inquiries you have currently but let everything, including your BK, age. 

Best of luck!

EDIT: Just as a little note, Self has Credit Builder Loans so its not like a regular loan you would get from a bank.  

+1

I totally forgot about that!

Both me and SO got the Self Lender loan and when I got mine I did the $550/1 yr ($50/mo) loan and then they started offering the accompanying secured card (backed by what you have paid towards the loans). After building up $100 in funds you can get the card and as your funds towards the loans increases, you can increase the CL of the card (in $100 increments).

When I saw they offered the securrd card I got my SO the $1650/1 yr loan ($150/mo) so he could get a securrd card with a better than average limit. Turns out niw that we are in month 10 of 12 hosc scores are good enough (or close enough) for unsecured products, so have decided not to get it.

I do think it is an excellent product and I strongly suggest it. 

Others will suggest NFCU for their SSL product, especially if you have the ability to join, and I agree. The secured card is separate, though.

The Self lender is basically guaranteed and as long as you make your payments, you can get the card, if you want, no credit check (for loan or card). It is a SP, but no HP on your credit reports.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.