cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did u know it was time to fix your bad credit?

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: When did u know it was time to fix your bad credit?

Ours was when we could not even open a checking account due to my fiancés Mom opening and running up around 15 k in debt in his name bf he was even 18 , we knew it was bad bc we couldn't even get a checking account. BUT we didn't know exactly how bad it was bc we could never get his reports bc she had addresses on his reports that he had never lived at and all that , even had his Bday completely made up . and as far as I go I hadn't used any credit in almost 10 years. But I had collections and defaulted SL that was on my reports. So all negative and nothing posttive for me at the age of 32 ,never even had a credit card just was stupid about not payIng old light bills and cell phone bills and such . So it really hit us hard when we went to try to get a new car bc ours was on its last leg in Jan 2106 , we basically got laughed out of every dealership around town besides the predatory ones and we didn't want to go that route , so I made my mind up to get our credit in line and have stuck to it since then , when we were finally able to pull his reports they were terrible 20 plus collections totalling around 15 k his scores were around 380s and mine were around the same , I didn't have nearly as much to deal with as him , about 6 collections and 2 charge off and my SL , so today all negitave marks have been removed and paid for delete on my end , I rehabbed my SL and the back dated and removed all lates for me which only
Happens about 50/50 of the time . And he only has one collection left which is his for a medical bill his insurance didn't cover , we are working on that last thing , we have opened and established positive accounts and even got our new car all in the last year and half . We still have things to learn and a way to go bc it's never really over. You have to maintain your credit always . So that's what was our turning point .

Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg!!!! My husband's mother did the same thing!! She currently is using his brother's info (over 18)... Saying she's helping him "build credit". Luckily, my hubby has only ever had one checking acct but all the debt she ran up in his name has fallen off his report because we sat down and pulled his credit karma.... Im soooo jealous!!! Only one old medical bill from 2013. No inquiries, no open cards, no public records... Whew. But she did use Duke Energy in his name before i believe... So sad and frustrating
Message 32 of 40
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Are you from Louisiana by chance ? Sorry to hear that your fiancés Mom did the same but atleast it is all gone now , we never had to officially file an ID theft report and was able to dispute almost everything she opened away with "I never opened this account" this is not my account" so we lucked out . I'm just praying she never tries it again esp now she knows we have gotten our scores and credit in a good place . I'm always paranoid about her trying to open ccs in his name now so I check his reports everyday and we both have CCT for monitoring plus CK and Wallet Hub .
Message 33 of 40
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Your husbands mom sorry
Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its ok Smiley Wink No, we're in Ohio. This "using your kid's info to get services/credit" really makes me mad. No excuse at all for that.
Message 35 of 40
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Not one excuse in the world would make me do that to my child and their credit , I will however be adding my Children's once they get 15 or so to one of my CC so they will have a positive jump ahead for credit history . I have already made them accounts a members at USAA and Navy Fed should they decide to want to Bank with them one day . I was never taught about Credit , my Mom was a single Mom of four kids so Credit was not high on the to do list in our home . But I want to teach my kids to be responsible and not make the same mistakes I did . Anyways I asked if you were in Louisiana bc of the Duke Energy , I have only ever seen it down there bf
Message 36 of 40
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

@Aduke1122 have your hubby freeze his reports. His mom won't be able to open new accounts that way.
Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah Duke Energy is only in so many states. I was never taught a thing about credit or finances. I turned 18 and was living on campus and im not kidding... Citi sent me a credit card with either $1,000 or $2,000 on it. So long ago I cant remember. Unfortunately it was charged off.... That was start of bad finances for me. Plus almost $35,000 in medical bills (to me, medical bills is NOT credit but now I know they consider it to be) and other random debts caused me to file bk in 2013. So im trying to get scores up until that bk falls off
Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:

Ours was when we could not even open a checking account due to my fiancés Mom opening and running up around 15 k in debt in his name bf he was even 18 , we knew it was bad bc we couldn't even get a checking account. BUT we didn't know exactly how bad it was bc we could never get his reports bc she had addresses on his reports that he had never lived at and all that , even had his Bday completely made up . and as far as I go I hadn't used any credit in almost 10 years. But I had collections and defaulted SL that was on my reports. So all negative and nothing posttive for me at the age of 32 ,never even had a credit card just was stupid about not payIng old light bills and cell phone bills and such . So it really hit us hard when we went to try to get a new car bc ours was on its last leg in Jan 2106 , we basically got laughed out of every dealership around town besides the predatory ones and we didn't want to go that route , so I made my mind up to get our credit in line and have stuck to it since then , when we were finally able to pull his reports they were terrible 20 plus collections totalling around 15 k his scores were around 380s and mine were around the same , I didn't have nearly as much to deal with as him , about 6 collections and 2 charge off and my SL , so today all negitave marks have been removed and paid for delete on my end , I rehabbed my SL and the back dated and removed all lates for me which only
Happens about 50/50 of the time . And he only has one collection left which is his for a medical bill his insurance didn't cover , we are working on that last thing , we have opened and established positive accounts and even got our new car all in the last year and half . We still have things to learn and a way to go bc it's never really over. You have to maintain your credit always . So that's what was our turning point .

That reminds me, I had two checking account chargeoffs as well.

Message 39 of 40
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

As did my fiancé too , they have been removed from his files but I believe he still has one of them listed on the Chex systems report , his Mom would open online bank accounts in his name that would have OD and she ran it up and never paid them uuggh
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.