Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do items turn over to collections?

tag
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

When do items turn over to collections?

Hey all- I am not sure if this is the proper category to ask this question, so if a mod needs to move it-please do.

I was talking on the phone last night with a friend about a utility collection that recently popped up from when I moved.  I am watching my credit like a hawk right now and was telling her about how I have spent a lot of time & money to ensure that I don't have any collections accounts on my reports and how, out of the total clear blue sky, a utility collection popped up & started reporting from two years ago.

Should it have taken this long for it to start reporting?  I moved going on two years ago and I really thought I had paid all of the utilities when I closed my account--apparently I did not.  But doesn't two years after the account closed seem like a long time to have something then move over to collections?

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: When do items turn over to collections?

Yes to reporting, but not unusual. I take it that they have sold the collection to a collection agency or junk debt buyer for pennies on the dollar. They will soft pull you ever so often, and when they notice an increase of your scores, that indicates to them you are more financially well off to pay the bill, or be a thorn in your side knowing you are rebuilding your credit. Your best plan of action is to get a pay for delete, as this "now" reporting will hurt your scores, and more damaging to mortgage scores. 

If you can go back over bank statements the month and the next two months after to see if you did in fact paid the remaining balance. If so, dispute as paid with documentation. 

If not, contact who ever holds the debt, and tell them you were never sent a bill for remaining balance, was 2 years ago, no dunning notice in mail, just being reporting on bureau. If a small amount, tell them you will paid in full under condition that they will remove debt as such on all bureaus. (Not mark as paid collection), fully removed. Seems oversight on both parties, you didn't get a bill from Utility company, and they didn't sent any correspondence that you had a bill in collections. 

To get an idea if a collection agency who can google collection agency and pay for delete, it will probably direct you back here, but you can get an idea if they are easy to work with on PFD, or not. 

Message 2 of 3
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

Re: When do items turn over to collections?

This is really great advice, thank you!  I guess I won't be able to monitor soft pulls by these folks... Unfortunately the amount is not small.. and I did call the utility company to discuss it and ask for statements and I was then met with a lot of dunning response--however, the time period they are attempting to collect for is beyond when I actually lived there.

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.