Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does SOL clock begin?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When does SOL clock begin?

My stated SOL is 10 years. I opened a private student Loan in June 2006. It last updated/closed in June 2014. My DOFD must have been in 2011 because my TU report has estimated removal date of 3/2018. From which of these dates did the SOL clock start?
5 REPLIES 5
capricornchanges
Regular Contributor

Re: When does SOL clock begin?

my understanding is there is NO SOL on Student loans, you have them until you pay or die.

1st goal: 700 across the board
Starting Scores 01/19/2018
Equifax : 579
Transunion: 585
Experian: 602

Current 07/06/2018
Equifax:662
Transunion: 645
Experian: 683

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s only true of Federal debts. Private ones have a soL per state. Private loans are not discharged in BK that’s the main difference.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know about my original question? Thank you all
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It varies by state.

There is no uniform, standard answer.

Some states set the begin of the SOL period as the "date of cause of action," meaning the first date that you became in violation of the terms of your account agreement, and were thus subject to civil action for default on that agreement.  That is usually the same date as the DOFD.

Other states set the begin period as the date of any last payment, or a "firm offer to pay."

If in doubt after reading the legalese in your state statute, consult with an attorney in your state.  They know the ropes, and can advise of the interpretation that has been established by the courts in your state.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.