Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is it safe to close bad credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When is it safe to close bad credit cards

When is it safe to close bad credit cards? I'm mainly asking about First Premier. I have a card from them, it's my second highest limit card. They give absolutely terrible CLIs, mabey 100-200 a year. It has a 19.99% interest rate, no annual fee, but instead a $7.00/month fee. My dilemma here is that it has been open for 2 years, it's my oldest open account. I also was just approved for a Discover IT card, just received a visa from my credit union (highest CL card I have), as well as a Cap1 QS1 card. I also have a Fingerhut Card that I only use enough to keep it active so they don't close/reduce it.

Other open accounts are just 1 auto loan that's been open for roughly 18 months, and a side by side loan that I just refinanced at a much lower rate. Original loan was only open 5 months before refinance.

My intention is to just garden for a while. I have a CH7 discharged 3/2012, Around 4 paid off car loans since, there is a couple baddies still hanging around, One has agreed to delete if I pay 40% of the balance. Other then that just 1 baddy on TransUnion that I intend to just wait out. They've refused any PFD requests. Current scores with all 3 bureaus sitting from 650-670.

My question is should I just eat the monthly fee and keep FP card around for a while longer? And how long till I can close it without taking a huge hit to scores?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: When is it safe to close bad credit cards

Post the Open Date and CL for all CC's

this will help with the advice.  

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 cards haven't even reported yet:
Discover IT $1250
Credit Union $1500

1 card was opened 9/19:
Cap1 QS1: 300

and then there is first premier the one I want to close, open date is 9/17: $1275

. Finger Hut is 10/18: $900

My auto loan was opened 03/2018.
Message 3 of 9
RSX
Valued Contributor

hmm. That FP is 25%of your total CL

i think I would keep it until your new cards bump up CL in 6 months or so

hate wasting $7/month but I think it is worth it in this case

age isn't a factor, since it stays on your report for 10 years.  

Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yah I thought that might be the case. My credit unions card tops out at 15k limit. They are frigging awesome to work with so I don't think it will take long to get there. They do quarterly reviews and increases, if you ask for a CLI tho it's a hard pull.

And I think Discover IT card will grow fast. Any suggestions on how often to request from Discover? I've read they do soft pulls for the most part.
Message 5 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It wont hurt much. You have the loan at 18 months thats older than FP. So it isnt your oldest account. So go ahead and shut it down and save $84 a year.

Message 6 of 9
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Assuming you are not carrying any balances, if I were in your shoes I would close that card with a fee immediately.

(And although you did not ask, and or what it is worth, If you are not carrying any balances, and if I were in your shoes, I would also close the fingerhut card.   Finances over FICO.)

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 9
RSX
Valued Contributor

Disco is a Soft Pull.  Do them as much as you want, but every 30 days is a good plan.  

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closing of a credit card simply terminates the continued ability to make new purchases.

It does not per se remove any credit reporting on the account unless other conditions prevail.

Closing does not, for example, remove the account from continued inclusion in FICO scoring under age of accounts, does not remove derogatory payment history delinquencies,  or does not per se remove the account under percent util scoring if a balance remains on the account.

However, once a revolving line of credit is both closed and reaches $0 balance, it is removed from your util of credit scoring.

You will then lose its credit limit in your assessment of % util of revolving credit.

If the credit limit is small, that may be insignificant.  However, if it is your highest or only reported revolving credit limit, it might have significant impact.

Scoring impact is always balanced against the separate issue of economic impact.  Closing of an account with an annual fee can remove continued obligation for that fee, and thus override any negative scoring implications that might occur as result of loss of the credit limit in your % util calculation.

A secondary and unknown closing factor that is beyond control of the consumer is the possibility that the creditor may decide, once the account is paid, to then report deletion of the entire account for their own reasons.  If the creditor decides to delete their account, thus removing any obligation to monitor for any changes or to respond to any consumer disputes, the consumer will lose any positive benefits, such as if the account has a long age that is above the current average age of accounts.

It depends......

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.