Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I check?

tag
WIDSMI
Regular Contributor

When should I check?

I just paid off all my credit cards!!! I do have a car loan at 6.75% and I would like to refinance for a lower rate. When should I re-check my credit report to make sure everything shows a 0 balance? Also, when you do you think I should refinance? I am thinking I should wait 6 months but i'm not sure.,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dursty87
Established Contributor

Re: When should I check?

How long have you had your car loan?  Are you upside down?

As far as your credit card balance updates - this is based on the issuer of the CC.  Most of them report the balance on or around the statement date which you can find on their website.  I usually wait maybe 4-5 days after my statement cuts (the one that reflects the $0 balance) before updating my report.  Some CRA's (TU) take a little bit longer than the others to report.  So I would look at all your CC statement dates and wait 4-5 days after that.

Message 2 of 4
WIDSMI
Regular Contributor

I got the car loan in June 2014. It was a new car purchase over 50k.

Message 3 of 4
dursty87
Established Contributor

Oh that is pretty recent.  I would check in with the Auto Loan forums and the guru's over there.  They can help you out and point you in the right direction.  Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.