cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When your credit monitoring service suggests you apply for a card...

tag
Failingupwards
New Contributor

When your credit monitoring service suggests you apply for a card...

And you're declined.

Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When your credit monitoring service suggests you apply for a card...

@Failingupwards wrote:
And you're declined.

Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear about that - it always sucks when you think you have a sure thing and then you turn out not to. Which service was it? Credit Karma, My Bank Rate, Nerd Wallet, or something similar? Most free credit-monitoring services use Vantage Score 3.0 which isn't used by most lenders so can't be relied on as a certain guide; you need to know your FICO (usually FICO 8 score). Also, the card recommendations on credit-monitoring sites are unreliable; you have to keep in mind that these sites earn a lot of their revenue from ads from credit-card issuers. The various issuers' prequal pages are more helpful but should also be taken with a grain of salt. A good rule of thumb is that you should only consider a pre-qualification/pre-approval offer to be really solid if it includes a single-figure APR quote or small-range (no more than 3%-4% difference between high and low) APR quote. If they give you a specific SL they will approve you for (rather than "maximum of..." or "up to..."), that makes your chances even better. Penfed is a case in point; every quarter when they update their members' FICO scores (assuming those members have active credit products with them), they will post offers, and sometimes those offers will be hard, guaranteed (or as near to guarantee as ever happens in the credit game) pre-approved with solid APR and starting credit line quotes.

Message 2 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

As an example of what Joe said, Credit Karma will often suggest American Express but they don't monitor Experian which is the bureau Amex pulls the majority of the time, if not exclusively. So CK can't realistically recommend Amex.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats how they get paid.....

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you can do is look at what site ie CK so forth  suggests but also go to the card site and get a preapproval before you submit. We also look at is what we get mail piece preapprovals for. This has saved  a lot of disappointment.    The monitoring services are terrible at they suggest.  They push subprime even if you are  way past that.  

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I tell which bureau a credit company will use/pull if I apply for a new credit card?  Good to know AMEX pulls Experian.

Message 6 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Sent you a PM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How can I tell which bureau a credit company will use/pull if I apply for a new credit card?  Good to know AMEX pulls Experian.

credit pull data base will give you a pretty accurate idea of who will pull what 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.