Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Do I Go From Here?

tag
hopefulinde
Valued Member

Where Do I Go From Here?

I'm hoping to get myself in a position to raise my credit score...My goal is to get it to 650.  Currently my FICO scores are : EQ: 569 TU: 607 EX: 580. I've made a bunch of mistakes; some were self infliction, others were bad luck when my husband was going through employment issues and we were trying to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads.  But now we're in a good position to start cleaning up our mess and pay these companies back.

Good Things

I have a bunch of student loans totaling about 18k in deferment right now while I'm finishing my degree that I was never late on through Nelnet.

Credit One Card reporting at $605 (limit $650) Card was open for about a year and half and was never late. Utilization is high though.  My plan is to get it down to $500 before the next statement cuts.

Capital One reporting at $710 (limit ($700)  I had an automatic payment come out as the statement was cutting, so this will be paid down to $550 before the next statement cuts. Never was late.

Fingerhut reporting at $258 (limit $1600)  Open over two years, never was late.

Line of Credit reporting at $4890 (limit $5000) Open over six years ago and was never late.

Merrick reporting at $443 (limit $500) Just opened in April, never late but utilization is too high.  My plan is to pay this down to $380 before the next statement cuts.

Victoria's Secert reporting at $0 (limit $550)

Ann Taylor reporting at $0 (limit $500)

Paid off student loan for $1500

Two paid off personal loans for $500 and $750 from our local CU

Baddies

I have two judgements against me.  One from back in 2012 that was a medical bill and was paid in full for $590.  The second one is for $8000 that I'm paying on for a car loan from Credit Acceptance between me and my husband from 2013.

Capital One reporting at $340 (limit $750) This card is from 2010 and per the rep, is not officially closed, but I cannot make additional charges since I was over 120+days late back in 2014. I have been paying the mininum on this card, but I think I'm going to try to get it paid off in the next month or two. I have not been late on this card since 2014.

AES: I have two student loans that are reporting a 60 day late back from 2014.

First Premier charge off for $876 due to fall off July 2018.  I keep getting those settlement letters to pay half and re-open a credit card with them.  I'd rather not.  I just would like to settle the debt and keep them in my rearview mirror.

Trident collection for Verizon for $351.  Sent DV and debt was verified.  I did send a settlement letter this month, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.  The debt was from 2013.

Santander charge off reporting at $0 for the balance of a repo in 2012. I'm not sure what to do with this.  

BOA secured card charge off reporting at $286 due to fall off December 2019. I'd like to get this one taken care of as well, as it keeps reporting 90+days late every month.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Where Do I Go From Here?

I would start with your utilization and negatives. On your cards, try to get them down first from being in the maxed out range. Get down to like 75% to start. Then eventually bring all of your utilization down to under 10% with preferably a balance only reporting on one card.

On the baddies, anything with a balance, try offering a pay for delete. Anything with a zero balance or late, you can try sending goodwill letters for deletion.

On Santander, if the balance is zero already, other then that, there really isn't much you can do. They do not remove anything and haven't since like 2011. All you can do is wait for it to age off.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where Do I Go From Here?

You're moving in the right direction - making a plan you can live with for the next couple of years is key to success.

You are correct that your utilization on most of your cards is much too high.  FICO wants you below 30% across the board (all revolving accounts), and gives "bonus" points for being at ideal levels if you manage to get everything paid off except one which then reports less than 10$.  You're a long way from the "bonus" round, but making plans to pay off everything below 30% - and keep it there - will help you greatly.  Remember that the 30% level is the reporting level - that is, the level the account should be below on the day the statement cuts and is reported.  You can still use the account in  between, as long as you pay enough back into it before the statement is cut to have it report below 30%.   Learning how to manage this on an ongiong  basis is important, because it will allow you to focus on putting cash into other debts while using the cards for everyday expenses, then planning payments on them to get them back down to where you want them to report in time.  It's a balancing routine, but it becomes habit once you figure out your dates (statement dates on each account, and payroll dates for you and your husband).

Credit One Card reporting at $605 (limit $650) Card was open for about a year and half and was never late. Utilization is high though.  My plan is to get it down to $500 before the next statement cuts.  The 30% mark for this one is $195 reporting balance.  You need to pay off $305 of the $500 balance to get to that point.

Capital One reporting at $710 (limit ($700)  I had an automatic payment come out as the statement was cutting, so this will be paid down to $550 before the next statement cuts. Never was late.  The 30% mark for this one is $210 reporting balance.  You need to pay off $340 of the new $550 balance to get there.

Fingerhut reporting at $258 (limit $1600)  Open over two years, never was late.  This account is in good shape, and their "minumum" payments are easy to make since they're usually about $20/month or less.  

Line of Credit reporting at $4890 (limit $5000) Open over six years ago and was never late.  The 30% mark for this one is $1500 reporting balance.  This is your biggest one to work down, and you need to get it below 50% ($2500) asap.  To get to the 30% mark, you'll need to pay off $3390.

Merrick reporting at $443 (limit $500) Just opened in April, never late but utilization is too high.  My plan is to pay this down to $380 before the next statement cuts.  The 30% mark for this one is $150 reporting balance.  You'll need to pay down $230 of the remaining $380 to get there.

Victoria's Secert reporting at $0 (limit $550)  This account is in good shape

Ann Taylor reporting at $0 (limit $500)  Likewise this one is good.

Paid off student loan for $1500  This is installment debt, not revolving - and since it closed (I assume) with a good payment history (no lates) it does nothing but help your history. 

Two paid off personal loans for $500 and $750 from our local CU  These are likewise installment loans, and assuming again that they closed with no lates, they help.  Since you still have open/active student loans in your file you are fine on installment loans - just have to keep the payment histories on track.

Baddies

I have two judgements against me.  One from back in 2012 that was a medical bill and was paid in full for $590.  The second one is for $8000 that I'm paying on for a car loan from Credit Acceptance between me and my husband from 2013.  I would contact the paid-off judgment holder and get them to release the judgment.  That will remove it from your public records report the next time the CRAs run that on you.  The second judgment will only go away once (a) it expires under the laws in your state, or (b) it is paid or settled with the judgment holder and released.

Capital One reporting at $340 (limit $750) This card is from 2010 and per the rep, is not officially closed, but I cannot make additional charges since I was over 120+days late back in 2014. I have been paying the mininum on this card, but I think I'm going to try to get it paid off in the next month or two. I have not been late on this card since 2014.  Closing this one is fine, but pay it off first - have it report as "closed by consumer, $0 balance."  The late payment from 2014 may be able to be removed through a goodwill campaign, especially since you have another active account with them.

AES: I have two student loans that are reporting a 60 day late back from 2014.  Goodwill is really the only thing that can help with this, but the cost of a couple of letters is about $1 in postage, so why not try.

First Premier charge off for $876 due to fall off July 2018.  I keep getting those settlement letters to pay half and re-open a credit card with them.  I'd rather not.  I just would like to settle the debt and keep them in my rearview mirror.  2 years of reporting left - you could try a PFD offer on this one, if you can come up with the money or at least a substantial part of the cash before then.  PFD is not always successful, so go into it with realistic expectations, but at least you would be trying.  I'd wait on this one though until you have tackled some of the other issues - if it takes you 2 years to pay down all of your revolving debt and get the second judgment taken care of, this one will fall off before you have to confront it. 

Trident collection for Verizon for $351.  Sent DV and debt was verified.  I did send a settlement letter this month, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.  The debt was from 2013.

Santander charge off reporting at $0 for the balance of a repo in 2012. I'm not sure what to do with this.  Unfortunately not much you can do about this - if they are reporting correctly, then you just have to wait for it to fall off.  You can try goodwill, but there is no motivation to Santander to do this, and they are not known for being easy to work with in the first place.

BOA secured card charge off reporting at $286 due to fall off December 2019. I'd like to get this one taken care of as well, as it keeps reporting 90+days late every month.  Put this at the top of the list for the collections you want to deal with.  Pay it off as soon as feasible, to stop the bleeding.  You can try PFD on this one too, but even if they don't take you up on that, pay it off to stop the reporting.

You just need to make yourself a list and prioritize things.

Run a budget and decide where y'all can economize to free up cash, and work on paying down your balances. Even if you can only free up $100 extra a month, that will help you knock down the $300ish distances between your current balances and the "sweet spot" on some of your cards.  Tackling the LOC is a bigger thing - you want to make extra payments on that as often as you can since it's a very large balance to work down at $100 a month.

Figure out which of the three lower-balance accounts has the highest interest rate (I'm betting it's Credit One) and attack it first.  Pay the minimums on the others for one month and throw everything at the highest-interest card to get it paid down/off.  Then repeat the next few months until you've taken out the balances on these cards.  Then use the cards for groceries and gas (remember, pay them down below 30% each month before the statement cuts or you'll eliminate the work you already did) while you pay on the installment loan and the BOA chargeoff.

The hardest part of any rebuilding plan is the time involved.

If you get all of your revolving accounts below 30%, you'll see an increase in score.  If you manage to get PFD on the BOA and the First Premier, you'll get another bump upwards.  But, since all of these things require cash to accomplish them, you are limited by your ability to free up cash from your living expenses - which takes time and discipline.  It's not easy, but it is doable.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.