Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Where do I start?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just went to Cap One prequalify page and got 2 pre-qualifications.  Should I wait or take advantage of the CL offered by CO?

No, read the post I just made.You'll have much better luck if your reports are clean. 

If COs and collections are about to be removed, it's better to wait.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Okay, we're getting somewhere now lol 

What you need to do, is grab a copy of free annual credit report. It will have DOFD for all negative accounts, CO's and collections alike. 

Those dates will tell us when the defogs should be gone

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

When a CO account falls off due to aging, so should a collection associated with it as they share DOFD. 

Also, here is the linkbto abbreviations  in case we start drowning you with the lingo 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

1st off TY for the cheatsheet!!!!! LOL

2nd I have already pulled my reports the drop off date is July 2019.  

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

No, read the post I just made.You'll have much better luck if your reports are clean. 

If COs and collections are about to be removed, it's better to wait.

Thanks, I'll wait!

Message 13 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Okay, we're getting somewhere now lol 

What you need to do, is grab a copy of free annual credit report. It will have DOFD for all negative accounts, CO's and collections alike. 

Those dates will tell us when the defogs should be gone

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

When a CO account falls off due to aging, so should a collection associated with it as they share DOFD. 

Also, here is the linkbto abbreviations  in case we start drowning you with the lingo 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

1st off TY for the cheatsheet!!!!! LOL

2nd I have already pulled my reports the drop off date is July 2019.  

Just wait three more weeks. You'll have much better results at that time. 

You should expect a lot of points back, even without CC accounts. That's exciting 

Good luck with your August apps and please update when they drop off! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

You should expect a lot of points back, even without CC accounts. That's exciting 

Good luck with your August apps and please update when they drop off! Smiley Happy

Thank you!  Is there a thread that has best practices for apps?  I don't want to randomly apply for things.  How many CL should I start with?

Message 15 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Thank you!  Is there a thread that has best practices for apps?  I don't want to randomly apply for things.  How many CL should I start with?

It's a good thing you dont want to randomly apply, that's the best practice 

I would start with one card only, because it will produce additional  score boost. Once that card reports, I'd go for second one, providing you've done your research and know which one will fit your spending.

Then I'd wait 6 months to allow them to age and avoid dreaded denials for "excessive credit seeking" (been there, done that), and grab a third one.

After that, apply only when you need credit and cards fits your spending. It's a horrible feeling getting denied for a card you can actually use and benefit from because you applied for something that will get closed because it's useless.  

The recommendation for three cards for maximum scoring is valid in the light of scoring model preferring less than 1/3 of cards reporting balances. That's irrelevant now, as you're not trying to get a mortgage.  

Once your second card reports, you should attempt to refinance your loan. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.