cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do they come up with this Garbage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do they come up with this Garbage?

I received calls/messages this morning on my home, cell, and work numbers:

This message is intended for DEFENDANT My Name. This is Tony Winters with the county processor's office. We have a summons for court due to be issued out to property address 123 My Street in My City, as well as a location on campus (I work at a university). If you will not be available or would like to reauthorize changes to the time, date, location of service, -before an officer arrives- contact the issuing office immediately at 844-626-3464. Case number attached to the file 2015-1590. Again, defendant My Name contact the issuing office immediately.

What a crock. Havent' called them back yet, I have to let my blood stop boiling so I don't lose my cool with them.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Where do they come up with this Garbage?

Call the court and make sure there is no pending legal action against you.

If there is no pending legal action, I would contact your state office of the AG.

Then call them and ask if they are a debt collector.  If they are, they must provide you with that notice.

Then terminate the call.

If they are a debt collector, then send a formal complaint to the CFPB for violation of FDCPA 807.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you google the number? They ran a similar fraud scheme here in GA that is VERY close to that script. They said they were from the county courts and there was a warrant about to be filed unless they paid X amount to them right then. Both my husband and I got the phone calls. Turns out it was a collection agency in Alpharetta, Georgia running a scam on old, bad debts. They had fake case numbers and everything. They were just taken to court for impersonating an officer of the court and a laundry list of other infractions.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, they don't call you to tell you there's a summons. It either has to be posted to a public newspaper, or served by registered mail or in person. I have yet to hear of a phone call warning. I can't imagine the sheer amount of man hours that would take, even on a county level.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that when a person was issued papers in civil matters to appear that it was by either certified mail or in person from law enforcement in the county or Parrish where the suit was filed? I would be leery of providing any personal information or discussing the details of any legal matter over the phone with anyone that I did not know. Personally if I did return a call my message to them would be short sweet and to the point. Serve me if you have the documents.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is definitely no pending court action. My state has court records online, and there are no open/new cases for my name. I don't have any outstanding obligations/collections/charge-offs that are within SOL (3 years in my state), so there is nothing that I COULD be sued for.

And I will definitely be contacting the AG. I'm not a fan of bullies. I've been served before, and I surely didn't get a phone call to verify the time and location HAHA!

Thanks for all your input... Once again, priceless info on this forum!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.