cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to begin? Or am I doing all I can?

tag
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where to begin? Or am I doing all I can?

Judgments are included in BKs. You wipe everything but federal loans. Those arent dischargable

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 12 of 14
tbonecopper

Fortunately AMEX can't garnish, and it's very difficult for the student loan companies to do so as well, due to where I live. 

Federal loans are able to be discharged, but it's very difficult.  

See: http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/bankruptcy/

I suppose I need to find a good BK attorney and figure out how much of my soul I'll have to sell to even do it. Sorry if I seem like I have a negative attitude, but the situation is a bit of a stresser for me, and I've reached the point where I won't pay the student loans, and if they garnished, I'd leave my job. My family is emotionally supportive of the decision, but not happy with it, and by no means could it be a permanent solution. 

Message 13 of 14
starry1
Valued Contributor

Student loans are a b, but they won't kill you. I'm 44 and still have about $2200 left to pay, which will be paid off by the end of this year. Luckily for me they're not on my report, I have no idea why. So yeah, there were many years in between where I could only pay a couple hundred, and some years where I couldn't pay at all, but they ate finally almost done twenty years later.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.