Did you mean: 

Where to start? Can't get above 680

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Where to start? Can't get above 680

Hello and welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy

I would say start by paying that Discover charge off (CO). It's still hurting you, especially if it's updating monthly (which I am going to assume it is, based on personal experience).

Other than that, I'm not sure there's much else you can do but just be patient and give your reports time to heal from all those negatives (CO, lates, etc.).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 11 of 15
Traveler24

@Alucard wrote:

You may be able to get relief for your one missed payment through the cares act. Even though you are required to notify your creditor before you miss a payment most will work with you after the fact. 

Thank you for that advice, I did not know that about the cares act. I will definately talk to capital one about this

Message 12 of 15
jstratford
Established Member

You got some good advice already my two cents would be to use your Amex cards more since you want to get the aspire there internal system will view your account and go off of your relationship with them, also you might be able to get the aspire now but you limit might be low( speaking from exp). As far as your scores only time is going to make the things hurting your score age off to we're it doesn't affect your score. During my rebuilding I got my fico and watch my score to learn what caused the up and downs main thing you have to do is get accounts keep them positive and just wait. Good luck.

Message 13 of 15
mortimerwereback
Regular Contributor

1. Should I subscribe to the 39.99 a month program on myfico since that gives me access to all 3 bureaus every month?

Absolutely! 100%. I do think it's expensive as a recurring subscription, but perhaps just keep it at the highest tier until your credit is where you want it to be, then downgrade to quarterly updates. Knowledge is power and the information provided to you in your FICO reports could change your life if acted on properly. I'm in my second rebuild and I'd cancel almost everything before my FICO subsription.

Buddy of mine has 830+ FICO 8s (started in the 500s) across all three bureaus, a home, a new car, and all high end cards, all because of a conversation he and I had 12 years ago about how I couldn't believe he didn't have a credit card and why he should file for bk and rebuild instead of doing nothing about his ruined credit and collections. Till this day he thanks me for taking the time to have that conversation with him.

He'd also cancel many things before touching his $39.99 FICO subscription. haha!

Best of luck!

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." -Robert F. Kennedy

Message 14 of 15
7774x
Established Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

Is the charge off paid or unpaid? 

You mentioned late payments, how many, how severe and how old are they? 

Don't bother with getting scores directly from TU and EQ, they are not FICO scores. 

CO paid or not still weighing on score until it falls off.. paying a chargeoff gives a 1 time boost.. but will still listed as a baddie affecting your score and  reason for getting denials for credit applications 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.