Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start with my Credit Repair Journey

tag
Whew
Valued Member

Where to start with my Credit Repair Journey

Hello All.

After filing a whistleblower complaint regarding discrimination and sexual harassment I was fired from my job. That was in 2016. I was unemployed for three years due to my not being able to find a job due horrible “informal” employment references. I’m out of litigation and now have a new job with a settlement from my former employer. Yay! But, my credit has taken a huge hit since 2016. Currently, I have two open accounts with EQ AND EXP. Auto loan and School loans. TU shows 4 collection accounts along with the first two.

My scores are: EQ 493, EX 483 and TU 470

I have 4 collection accounts. They are:

LVNV Finger-hut (355.)
States Recovery System - Medical (516.) Disputed
Portfolio Recovery - Cap One (672.)
Diversified Consultants - T-Mobile (1201.)

Charge offs:

Finger-hut $355.
Capital One $672.
First Premier $505.

All collection accounts are closed with EQ and Experian with a balance dating back to 2016. However, all four accounts are open on TU.

I have multiple late payments on my car since 2016. I plan to pay off the car with my settlement money and trade it in after I clean up my credit report.

With the money, I plan to pay off all collection accounts and request a PFD with Portfolio Recovery. Also, after reading through the comments here, I plan to contact T Mobile and offer to pay my debt in full if they’ll retract the debt from Diversified Consultants.

As for the charge-offs, I’d planned to write a goodwill letter asking for a reversal of the charge offs explaining what happened in 2016 and maybe enclose the first page of my lawsuit with the letter. What do you all think? I was thinking of providing Toyota, my auto lender, with the GW letter, as well. Maybe they’ll remove the lates.

Lastly, I have school loans that have been in deferment since 2016. I plan to setup an IBR with them.

To establish credit, I was approved for a new Capital one, 200., and First Premier card, 300.00. Waiting on the cards to arrive. I hope my scores increase somewhat.

I’m a veteran and plan to purchase a home in a year.

Thank you all so very much in advance for any assistance.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Where to start with my Credit Repair Journey

I think you're already doing everything you can. You have loan on file and new revolving accounts

Not sure if GW approach will work but it really does not hurt to try. It may take a while but dont give up after a first few "no, cant do" 

The point is that some day one of your letters may end up on the right person's desk 

Other than that, make sure you're setting some money aside for emergencies. That's as important as rebuilding your credit and never be late with your payments. 

Nothing much else to do once your collection and CO accounts are satisfied 

Good luck with your future efforts 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. It’s not impossible to get your scores high enough to buy a house in a year, but realistically I would be looking at 2. Since you are a veteran I would join NFCU ASAP. They will treat you right. GL!

Message 3 of 5
Whew
Valued Member

Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
Whew
Valued Member

Thank you! I’ve been looking at NFCU.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.