cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whether to dispute or Goodwill letter????

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure

Whether to dispute or Goodwill letter????

Hi, it's been a minute since I last posted but I'm looking for insight. I have a charged off credit card with Wells Fargo that I paid in full last year. I have been looking through the forum and I saw many say they had less than good results with getting paid collections removed when dealing with Wells Fargo. When I originally paid the debt, I didn't know much about pfd. Me and my husband are planning to start working to repair out credit starting next year. I was wondering if disputing would get them to remove the account since it's paid or would Goodwill letters be more effective???Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Community Leader
Legendary Contributor

Re: Whether to dispute or Goodwill letter????

A collection is reported by the debt collector, not the creditor, and any deletion would necessarily be by the reporting debt collector, not Wells Fargo.

Paying a debt under collection requires the debt collector to close their collection and update the balance to $0.

There is no inaccuracy in continuing to report (i.e., not delete) the collection, and thus paying the debt is not basis for a dispute of the accuracy of the collection.

To the contrary, the CRA reporting manual specifically insructs debt collectors not to delete based on payment of the debt, and thus sending a dispute to the CRA would be requesting that they investigate and delete for a reason directly contrary to their posted policy.

You can send a request for good will deletion to the reporting debt collector.

Message 2 of 4

Okay, thanks. Lucky for me the debt wasn't sold and I paid Wells Fargo directly. So Goodwill letters it is.
Message 3 of 4

@Armcneil wrote:
Okay, thanks. Lucky for me the debt wasn't sold and I paid Wells Fargo directly. So Goodwill letters it is.

Yup the GW letter is the way to go as a dispute now would not get it deleted and it would cause a Fico score decrease when the status date comes current to update the results of the dispute. The CO would appear to be brand new in Ficos eyes.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.