Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Direction Please?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which Direction Please?

I've been fighting this for months now, so here's the story...

We had medicaid which paid 100% for my son's speech therapy. Hospital did not get the precert numbers from medicaid like they were supposed to, so medicaid denied paying the claims. Hospital never sent bills and I didn't find out about this until trying to buy a house and SUPRISE our scores are too low because the hospital sent it all to collections and of course collection agencies share with others so we've been hit several times by different agencies. I am now a faithful credit checker!

After arguing with the hospital, I called medicaid. Their wonderful legal department stepped in and took care of some of the bills as they can only pay so far back. Either way it was all the hospitals fault for not doing their job. Last week I spoke to the hospital again and they said it was marked on the account (about 3 months ago) that the stuff was to be taken of of our credit reports. It still hasn't happened. Instead some of the debts are showing paid which doesn't matter since just the fact that they are on the reports is hurting us. I contacted medicaid again and they sent me a letter stating the hospital could not legally hold me liable for the bills as it was a service covered 100% by them, and it was the hospital's error. They sent it certified to the hospital as well.

So should I sit and wait to see if the hospital get's this junk off our reports or should I take it upon myself and send copies of this letter out? Who should I send it to-Credit Bureus or collection agencies?

Need it cleared up fast so we can get our house. Thanks in advanve for the help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Which Direction Please?

Oh boy!

1.   Provide a copy of the letters to your lender.

2.   Write a nice letter/fax to the hospital/CA's and remind them it's illegal for them to have paid medical collections on your report.  Ask that they immediately fix this error and send a letter to you that they have fixed it.  Give them a deadline!   Give them a fax number (if you can) and an email address (if you can) for them to send the letter.  I personally prefer a hard copy sent snail  mail.

3.  After a reasonable amount of time has passed, if there are no changes on your CR, then send a copy of the letter to CR and let them know it's a violation of HIPPA to have it on your report.  They should remove it.

4.  There is also a defined, step by step process, to deal with HIPPA rules/violations.  Just google it on the net.  You can do this instead of #3.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.