Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which card to let report? AZEO

tag
Blu617
Valued Member

Which card to let report? AZEO

Hello all,

I've been lurking in the forums for the last several months soaking up all of the information that this community has to offer. It's been great. I have managed to bring my FICO score from a 490 in January to a 663 currently. (Just took a 18pt hit which I'll explain in a moment) I went from owing a good bit of debt and having an abundance of collections accounts on my report to having little debt and most were PFD. I have two medical collections on Experian that are a PFD and I'm just waiting for those to fall off. I also have an Auto Loan which was a repossession and has a $5,988 balance. I've been reluctant to make payments on it Bc I don't want to wake a monster. It hasn't reported since January and I'm not in the position to pay it in full so I'm going to wait until my credit is high enough and take out a small loan to pay it in full and also get the payment history on that loan.

Unfortunately, my credit just took a 18pt hit which based on my review of my reports I can only associate with taking a penalty for having all cards report a zero balance with the exception of a card that I'm a Authorized User on. I have 7 credit cards (excluding the AU), which I've been good about only letting one report a less than 5% balance on monthly. The card that I letting report was Credit One which has a $300 CL. I was carrying a small balance on it and this month it requested the full amount as the minimum payment. I paid it and decided to switch which card I allowed to report. Credit one reported a zero balance and Capital One ($1000 CL) hasn't reported yet so now all my cards are zero. I was wondering if it mattered which card I let carry a balance, the cards that I have are listed below with their credit limit..

Credit One - $300 CL

First Premier - $300 CL

OpenSky - $200 CL

USB Harley Davidson Secured - $300 CL

Capital One Secured - $1000 CL

Amex Delta Gold - $1000 CL

Synch Care Credit - $975 CL

Self Secured Loan - $501 balance

I have intentions of growing my USB, Capital One, Amex and Care Credit cards. Credit One, First Premeir and OpenSky I will eventually close and only used as starter cards.

Any recommendations on which card I should let report? Does it matter? Any other suggestions on how to best grow my credit?

I appreciate any feedback! Thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

Re: Which card to let report? AZEO

Amex or Capital One is what I'd choose to carry a $5 balance. You have a lot of cards so I wouldn't apply for anything else. Head to the garden. We'll welcome you there.

FICO 8

Message 2 of 5
Blu617
Valued Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I actually froze my reports and plan on gardening my credit for a while now.

Message 3 of 5
Blu617
Valued Member

One thing I have also been wondering is I have a checking/savings account with NFCU and I've heard nothing but good things about their credit cards and loans. Is it worth adding another card to the collection and getting a Navy secured card?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Blu617 

Conventional wisdom, when following the AZEO (All Zero Expect One for those that are not familiar with this 'term') is to let a Bank Card be the one with the small balance.  Additionally, and I will have to plead ignorance with this point, it has been stated in this forum that allowing a 'Store Card' (such as Lowes or Target, for example) can be a bit problematic with AZEO.

For those not familiar with AZEO, or All Zero Except One, this is a "credit game" tactic that makes use of the FICO Algorithms to slightly improve one's FICO Scores.  Furthermore, I believe that the underlaying concept (as per FICO's algorithms) is to have more that 50% of your resolvers (thus the need to have three credit cards in the beginning to be able to make use of this - should you decide to do so) show a $0 balance (as per the Statement Date - not the 'Bill Due Date').

I am going to investigate - and will share my findings - as to why a Bank Card is "better" than a Store Card for this.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.