Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would help me more?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which would help me more?

I have a charged off First Premier card for $880. Jefferson Capital is assigned to collect the payment and offered me a settlement of $440. As it stands, the card is reporting charged off with 125% UTI.

I also have a collections with Portfolio from a Walmart credit card for $712. I called today and they will take $500 to settle. Under their new policy they will delete the account once settled.

I only have money to pay one off, so which would help my score the most? I am currently tempting to withhold any credit pulls until next year, unless I decide to buy a car in July/August.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which would help me more?

If the charge off and collections are recent and the cc is125% utl.Then I wouldn't expect too many changes either way.If you could pay down the cc utl to 6%, that would be the most Fico score improvement,but that was sent to collections.The damage was already done to your credit score, because you probably have 30 days-180 days late om the cc prior to being charged off.One collection being removed will have little effect on your credit score positivly, becauce  the lates and charge off are still present on cr.If you settle the collection and it is removed from your credit report it's a step in the right direction, because it's one less serious derogatory.As these derogatories age they will have less effect on your credit score,but you have to start showing positive behaviour.So if you have no open cc's try for a secured cc that reports to all three credit bureaus,Start with monthly on time payments to counter the all the derogatories. GOOD LUCK.

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which would help me more?

If Jefferson isnt reporting settle with them in exchange for not reporting, this will get the FP down to a 0 balance after several update cycles. Since PRA will PFD you can hit them when you have the funds again.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.