cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is CBCS? And why is it such a big secret?

tag
TopCat99
Valued Member

Who is CBCS? And why is it such a big secret?

I get a call from them two or three times a day, two or three times a week. Most of the time, they leave no voicemail; other times, it's a computerized recording with, "Do not continue listening to this message," and hangs up.

Thanks to www.whocalled.us, I learned it's CBCS and they're annoying and rude to everyone--not just me Smiley Wink

Learning that they're a CA, I checked all three CRs. Nothin'. I've had this going on for quite some time now, so they should've reported (if it's mine). Figuring it was "safe" to call back, I called the 800# provided in the notes from the aforementioned site. The phone droid would not tell me who I had reached until I told him I already know that they're a collection agency. He then "discovered" my phone number matched his records, but refused to divulge any other information. Then he asked me to provide my SS# so he "could just pull up the file" (I refused)--and then he asked me for my checking account number to see if that would match anything. Do people actually fall for that??

So we know they're a CA. Are they masquerading for another CA, perhaps? I hope this isn't mine...I'd rather deal with NCO any day.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Who is CBCS? And why is it such a big secret?

CBCS is a CA. The only reason I can think of them not telling you who it is, is to see what information you would give first.

I sent them a DV, they responded saying the account was closed and returned.

I called and said if closed you need to removed from my reports since you no longer have anything on this account.

They refused saying I needed to send a copy of my CR.

I disputed with the CRA and it was deleted.
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good Lord, just when you think they've heard it all...

So if you have nothing on your reports, are they just randomly calling numbers, hoping that they'll find some poor chump who will give them their SSN or bank account number, so that they can see if there is some bounced check from 1973 that they can try to extort money for?

I really do hope that there is a special spot in hell for folks like this.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

Nice website. I just looked up like 20 numbers none were collections all marketing crap
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 4 of 6
nosxih
Regular Contributor

DW has two collections on her CR from these folks. Both for bellsouth. I DV'd them and they replied with "We will be removing these accounts from your credit report and will not persue collection any further"

They have NOT removed the CA's to date and it has been almost 30 days. I don't know much more about them than that but I do question their honesty.

Message 5 of 6
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

These guys are on my moms CR, they actually deleted the account off of Ex and Tu but not Eq.  I was reading on another thread about DV'ing a paid collection, so we give it a try. They respond by asking for more information because they could not locate an account in their system.

Mind you we provided them account number and original creditor in which they requested i send them (they also requested SSN# but i didnt include it). So im assuming they have no documentation! Just going to dispute with CRA, because they agreed to delete account once paid in full, Which they partially fulfilled.
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.