cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's responsible for medical debt of child over 18 covered on our insurance?

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who's responsible for medical debt of child over 18 covered on our insurance?

Age of majority, child is responsible even if they are 16 if they meet medical criteria for making them an adult

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 14
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Re: Who's responsible for medical debt of child over 18 covered on our insurance?

@LS2982 wrote:

You have to sign that responsibility form for you to be liable. That was the case with me and my DW. They tried to pin a collection on me and it was not my debt.

Was your child covered on your insurance policy at the time?

DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can be held responsible as the primary person on an insurance plan, even if the patient is over 18.
Message 13 of 14
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

I've continued to ask around to try and find a definitive answer but I still get conflicting answers.

Some say once the child is 18 he would be responsible for the portion of his medical bills that insurance doesn't pay.  To me that seems like that's the way it should be, but that could be wishful thinking on my part.

Others say that no matter what age he is, DH & I would be responsible because he's covered under our insurance.  More than likely this would be the reality.

I figure he'll continue to be covered until the end of this month but by then we need to decide what to do.  DH spoke with his Ex-wife today and told her we were leaning toward dropping son from our policy.  Of course she didn't take it well and wasn't very kind on the phone.

I'm still looking for opinions and would be grateful for any input on the matter. 

DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.