Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my FICO not change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did my FICO not change?

I started with Experian FICO of 622 with three dings (two mistakes and one ex-wife...)  I think Transunion is 665 and Equifax is over 700- broker said the average was about 669?

Credit Mix-Very Good

Amount of new Credit-Very Good

Credit History Length-Very Good

Amount of Debt-Very Good (Experian is good because amount CO on USAA card is included as part of the %)

Payment History-Good 

I have a lot of good credit, car loan, revolving (below 5% utilized), paid off student loans, 18 years history

Ding 1- I had a medical bill reported in collections, called the practice and they apologized for their mistake and removed it next day (VA is slow paying..)

Ding 2- I had a couple of my student loans show 12 or so 120+ in 2013-2014.  They removed 9 of them (so far) because of the loans were paid off mid-2013 LMAO. Again, their error. It originally showed paid in full, in collections as status with zero balance, changed that to transferred when removing most the 120+ .  Just spoke to them and they said the rest should be removed also.

Ding 3-  Charge-Off USAA Credit card in June 2013.  Divorce decree assigned CC debt to the ex, she declared bankruptcy 2 days before the divorce (told bankruptcy court she was divorced and didn't tell divorce court about bankruptcy)  Its USAA and my attorney contacted them in 2013 and told him they would look into it.  

Anyways, my FICO is still 622 after the only ding since 2014 removed and student loan ding mostly removed.  

What do I do? I want to buy a house in August.  Does her CC CO hurt that much?  USAA says divorce decree is invalidated by prior bankruptcy, and it's not their fault that she mislead the court.  That it was my responsibility to file with the bankruptcy court (I was not even notified). Yea I know she broke multiple laws but didn't know until after it was too late.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd happily pay it off but USAA says no PFD.

Sorry, rambling.  

q1- why didn't fixing most the errors move the score? Is it all USAA, a three-month-old collection and 6-year-old student loan don't change anything?

q2-  Any other recourse anyone can think of to work with USAA?  I mean, paying a debt that legally isn't mine to pay ought to mean something but its USAA...  It's 10-20 times cheaper to pay than sue if I could even sue after 6 years?

If I want to close in August, I really have about one month to resolve this and raise the 622.

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Why did my FICO not change?

What is the amount on the CC? That will count as 100% utilization so it is hurting.  Is it updating each month or has it been a while since it updated? I would think the thing that is holding you back the most is the 120 day lates, those are major and hurt the entire time they are on a report. List out your reason codes for what is hurting your scores. Those flow from what is hurting the most to the least. That will give you an idea, my guess is few accounts in good standing will be in the first or second position, which could point to the lates or the charge off.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

it updates every month.  only 10% utilized per worse (experian)

Where can I find the reason code for what is hurting my report?

Thank you!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many credit cards you currently have open?
Your score hurting because of the charge off and 120 lates. Once 120 days removed you should see a bump. Again you need 3 revolving accounts, 1 installment with low uti to see inprovement in your scores
Message 4 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started with Experian FICO of 622 with three dings (two mistakes and one ex-wife...)  I think Transunion is 665 and Equifax is over 700- broker said the average was about 669?

Credit Mix-Very Good

Amount of new Credit-Very Good

Credit History Length-Very Good

Amount of Debt-Very Good (Experian is good because amount CO on USAA card is included as part of the %)

Payment History-Good 

I have a lot of good credit, car loan, revolving (below 5% utilized), paid off student loans, 18 years history

Ding 1- I had a medical bill reported in collections, called the practice and they apologized for their mistake and removed it next day (VA is slow paying..) Cool

Ding 2- I had a couple of my student loans show 12 or so 120+ in 2013-2014.  They removed 9 of them (so far) because of the loans were paid off mid-2013 LMAO. Again, their error. It originally showed paid in full, in collections as status with zero balance, changed that to transferred when removing most the 120+ .  Until the last one falls off. That will be a crutch. Once they're all gone. THEN you'll see a score rise! Just 1 120 day late is almost as bad as a BK. Hurts for the full 7 years. Just spoke to them and they said the rest should be removed also.

Ding 3-  Charge-Off USAA Credit card in June 2013.  Divorce decree assigned CC debt to the ex, she declared bankruptcy 2 days before the divorce (told bankruptcy court she was divorced and didn't tell divorce court about bankruptcy)  Its USAA and my attorney contacted them in 2013 and told him they would look into it.  No results yet. Call the attorney again. Make sure they are following up on the case.

Anyways, my FICO is still 622 after the only ding since 2014 removed and student loan ding mostly removed.  

What do I do? I want to buy a house in August.  Does her CC CO hurt that much?  USAA says divorce decree is invalidated by prior bankruptcy, and it's not their fault that she mislead the court.  That it was my responsibility to file with the bankruptcy court (I was not even notified). Yea I know she broke multiple laws but didn't know until after it was too late.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd happily pay it off but USAA says no PFD.

Sorry, rambling.  

q1- why didn't fixing most the errors move the score? Is it all USAA, a three-month-old collection and 6-year-old student loan don't change anything?

q2-  Any other recourse anyone can think of to work with USAA?  I mean, paying a debt that legally isn't mine to pay ought to mean something but its USAA...  It's 10-20 times cheaper to pay than sue if I could even sue after 6 years?

If I want to close in August, I really have about one month to resolve this and raise the 622.

Thank you!

Work on the attorney and getting the incorrect entry on your reports fixed with USAA. Disputing wont do any good for now. They should work on it. You paid them to do your BK. They should follow thru. I get a call from my attorney each year that is everythng ok. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 13
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

it updates every month.  only 10% utilized per worse (experian)

Where can I find the reason code for what is hurting my report?

Thank you!

It varies by where you are getting your scores. For MyFico, if you click on the score in the dashboard and scroll down you will see them. I think its the same on Experian credit works, but not positive since I don't have a subscription there. 

If the card is updating every month then it is staying fresh and not aging. I would take Firemedic's advise and follow up with the lawyer to get it off your report. 

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Work on the attorney and getting the incorrect entry on your reports fixed with USAA. Disputing wont do any good for now. They should work on it. You paid them to do your BK. They should follow thru. I get a call from my attorney each year that is everythng ok. Good Luck!

It was my divorce attorney, he just called "as a favor" once the financial decree was issued.  Before we found out about her bankruptcy.  Once he found out about that, he said 10,000 retainer and said i'd also need to hire attorneys to work with him in two other states.  

Thx

Message 7 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well as you said above. Looks like it would be an expensive hassle to go after the ex. I'd say just pay it so it a stops reporting a balance for one. I'd gather up all the proof of the ex's violations and mail it in to USAA. Maybe worth a shot having someone read the documents than a voice on the phone or email. Doesnt hurt to try. Otherwise it will fall off in time. Wish I had a better answer. But not much left to work with really. You got the shaft in the whole deal. Sorry.

Message 8 of 13
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

First, check your FICO 5, 4, and 2 scores - those are usually what are used for mortgages, rather than FICO 8 or 9. MyFICO can provide all those scrores for you. That's probably why your broker told you your median was slightly different than what you thought, because you were looking at FICO 8 (or something else) and he was looking at FICO 4, the score mortgage brokers usually pull from TU.

Anyways, 622 seems like a very low score if the only baddie on your report is a 6 year old CO credit card.

For a data point, my report has 8 CO's on it currently that are all only 1-2 years old, my only open credit card that is on my report currently is maxed out (I have 3 new cards but they haven't reported yet), and still my scores are all higher than 622. So something seems wrong to me. I would double check that there aren't any open collections or public records on that report.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the various scores, 

The low six shows a lot more crap than the others-  And it is wrong per the credit report???

Serious Delinquency, and derogatory public record or collection filed (This is BS- no public record or collection listed on report???)

Length of time since derogatory public record is too short (Again, no public record???)

Number of accounts with delinquency (just one?)

proportions of balances to credit limits is too high on revolving accounts- (0%, 10% total counting my ex's)  10% is too high proportion of balance????

All I can think of is the collection agency has relisted a medical bill that came off last month.  The medical practice pulled back from collections the day after it was sent in Jan (Still waiting on VA to pay the bill... grrr) I called the practice and they said that it is not reporting, I laughed and said it must be.  I have seen on someones else post earlier that sometimes it comes off the credit report that I see but doesn't come out of the internal file used to calculate FICO.  That would make a lot of sense because I never can do the authorization, it always asks me about car loans and credit cards I never had.  They asked today about a collections account and I kept arguing that I am looking at today's report and there is no collections account. The first lady failed me for verification, called back and spoke to an American and she just asked additional questions beyond the collections one when I told her I was looking at today's report.

I am not dreaming that I read that others have had this problem before, am I?  I find it quite worrisome due to the wrong SSN and address associated with my account.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.