Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will charge-offs hold me down?

tag
tsever01
Valued Member

Will charge-offs hold me down?

I have two charge-offs from Capital One that I have been unable to get removed from my report.  I also have my last collection coming off my report this month.  Will those two charge-offs hold my score down or will I see a bump when the last collection is removed?  I also have a foreclosure and a charge-off of a second mortgage.  I am currently at around 660 on my EQ fico score.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Will charge-offs hold me down?

The chargeoffs will still be affecting your negatively.  They are considered serious derogatories as far as scoring goes.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tsever01 wrote:

I have two charge-offs from Capital One that I have been unable to get removed from my report.  I also have my last collection coming off my report this month.  Will those two charge-offs hold my score down or will I see a bump when the last collection is removed?  I also have a foreclosure and a charge-off of a second mortgage.  I am currently at around 660 on my EQ fico score.

As always, YMMV.  However, if I had to guess, I would guess you won't see much change when the collection falls off.  When it has aged to the point that it is ready to fall off, it is not effecting your score nearly as much as the other 2 charge-offs, which are scored basically the same as a collection.  Your biggest gain will be when all major derogatories fall off and you get rebucketed.

Message 3 of 9
tsever01
Valued Member

I understand what you are saying about the major derogs still being a huge factor.   The last collection that is coming off is a result of GW and is coming off a few years early.  It was first reported in 2010 or 2011 so I was hoping that having removed all my collections would bump me up a little even though I still have the other badies.  Wish I could get Cap One to remove their entries.   Wondering if I should even attempt to get the foreclosure or charged off 2nd mortgage removed or would I just be wasting my time on that.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tsever01 wrote:

I understand what you are saying about the major derogs still being a huge factor.   The last collection that is coming off is a result of GW and is coming off a few years early.  It was first reported in 2010 or 2011 so I was hoping that having removed all my collections would bump me up a little even though I still have the other badies.  Wish I could get Cap One to remove their entries.   Wondering if I should even attempt to get the foreclosure or charged off 2nd mortgage removed or would I just be wasting my time on that.

So a couple things to add based on the new info you posted here.  First, if it is a recent collection, it may raise your score to remove.  I was assuming it was falling off after 7 years.  However, even if it is your last collection, FICO doesn't see much difference between charge-offs, collections, repos, etc.  They are all scored as major derogatories and have a huge impact just the same.  You probably won't be rebucketed with charge-offs left, and rebucketing is where the huge increases come from with regard to removing collections in my experience.

I had 5 out of 8 collections removed from my TU file and it made no difference in my score.  None fell off on their own so they weren't super old.  Also, having a foreclosure changes things as well.  I don't have a lot of experience with that, but my understanding is that those are one of the worst score killers.  Chances are the effect of the single collection is pretty small compared to the other charge-offs and especially the foreclosure.

Either way, I would always recommend to keep trying with the GWs.  The less baddies on your report the better.  Even if you don't see an immediate FICO gain, there is the sastisfaction of having it removed and it would help you certainly on manual reviews down the road.  If it were me, I would keep trying.

Message 5 of 9
tsever01
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice and I am definitely going to keep trying.  I am trying to boost my score to obtain a USDA mortgage.   I think i am in the score range to qualify right now but I would like a cushion and anything that would help me get the lowest rate possible.  Cap One rejected me by mail for my two last charge offs and none of the execs reply to my emails.  I am afraid to even contact the banks that were involved with my foreclosure in case the try to come after me for money.  CitiMortgage charged off my debt for my second and sent a form for cancelation of the debt to the IRS but I read somewhere that they can still come after you for money if they pull it back from the IRS even though you reported it on your taxes. 

Message 6 of 9
scmami
Regular Contributor

I'll be following your journey! I'm sorry I can't answer your question....but I'd like to know how old your foreclosure is? I have a similar situation. Foreclosure Dec 2008 and 2nd with Citimortgage reporting as chargeoff. However, I'm at least a year out because a lot of baddies (chargeoffs) are just now being taken care of via PFD/GW, etc. Anyway, wanted to get an idea of how old your foreclosure is and how the bank handles charged off 2nd mortgages.

Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 7 of 9
tsever01
Valued Member

My foreclosure completed in mid-2009.  From what I have been told about my 2nd mortgage I should not have a problem since the charge-off shows a $0  amount.   They also sent a tax form because they canceled my debt so that also should help.  As soon as my credit report updates with the removal of my last collection account and I pay my credit cards down to near $0 I will be speaking more to an LO.  This will probably be sometime in early May. 

Message 8 of 9
scmami
Regular Contributor

Great! Good luck!
Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.