cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will filing a dispute with the credit agencies over this help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will filing a dispute with the credit agencies over this help?

I was unemployed for several months this year, so I made delayed payment arrangements with both my mortgage company and my bank (for a credit card with them). I finally got a job last month, and my bank has agreed to a lower monthly payment on our credit card until I can get back on my feet. When I checked my credit report, however, my bank is continuing to report my account as "delinquent" - even though I had a payment arrangement with them and am currently making monthly payments. When I spoke with them about it, they said that until I am "current" with my account (i.e. pay twice what I'm paying now), they'll continue to report me as delinquent. I might as well have made no payment arrangement with them at all and not be making monthly payments for all the good it's doing my credit! I'm sure they'd like me to pay off the debt completely, too, but I can't do that, either. I expect that my report will show my credit card as debt; I just don't feel it should be listed as "delinquent." It could be months before I can catch this amount up to current like they want. If I file a dispute with the agencies, would I have a chance of having it removed? 

I guess the same would apply with the other "delinquent" account - my mortgage. I also had an agreed-upon arrangment with them, and I started paying my monthly amount this month. Apparently they can only be contacted via email, which I did, but they just said they're reviewing my appeal.

We'll  be moving to another city for my job, but until I can get my credit score up, we can't get a home loan (my credit took a major hit during my unemployment). We don't want to rent - so the sooner I can get these anchors off my credit report, the faster my credit score will rise.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Will filing a dispute with the credit agencies over this help?

@Anonymous wrote:

I was unemployed for several months this year, so I made delayed payment arrangements with both my mortgage company and my bank (for a credit card with them). I finally got a job last month, and my bank has agreed to a lower monthly payment on our credit card until I can get back on my feet. When I checked my credit report, however, my bank is continuing to report my account as "delinquent" - even though I had a payment arrangement with them and am currently making monthly payments. When I spoke with them about it, they said that until I am "current" with my account (i.e. pay twice what I'm paying now), they'll continue to report me as delinquent. Before you started to make arraingements to get caught back up again. The lates may still report. Your lucky they didnt closed the account and charge it off. Once its paid off then I would ask about if they would be willing to remove the lates in good faith that you came to them for help. So they kinda did you a favor.I might as well have made no payment arrangement with them at all and not be making monthly payments for all the good it's doing my credit! I'm sure they'd like me to pay off the debt completely, too, but I can't do that, either. I expect that my report will show my credit card as debt; I just don't feel it should be listed as "delinquent." It could be months before I can catch this amount up to current like they want. If I file a dispute with the agencies, would I have a chance of having it removed? 

I guess the same would apply with the other "delinquent" account - my mortgage. I also had an agreed-upon arrangment with them, and I started paying my monthly amount this month. Apparently they can only be contacted via email, which I did, but they just said they're reviewing my appeal. Same applies.

We'll  be moving to another city for my job, but until I can get my credit score up, we can't get a home loan (my credit took a major hit during my unemployment). We don't want to rent - so the sooner I can get these anchors off my credit report, the faster my credit score will rise.

Welcome to the forums! You may not see it right now. They did you a great service and did work with you to get caught back up. Could have been a world of hurt if the credit card was closed/charged off and sent to collections. Once your back on your feet. Then talk to them about removing the lates that occurred. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. They didn't close my account because I made payment arrangements with them; I didn't just vanish.

At this rate it'll be about four more months before it's "caught up" as my bank said, even though I'm making payments. All the while, I'm having to live 300 miles away from my family in a rented room and seeing them once every two months because we can't buy a home here - because my credit stinks, in large part due to a "delinquent" status on my credit report from my bank. Waiting until the account is current to their liking just means not seeing my family that much longer. :^((

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Sorry about the situation at hand. Life throws hard balls for a reason. And we learn from it. I wish you the best of luck once caught up and explain what happened and what you want for the future that they will remove the negs and life can move on. Your on a lucky streak right now. Hope it carries over once this passes. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.