Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my scores go up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will my scores go up?

I have several balances were charged off, which I'll type all the info below, and I'd like to know would my scores go up if I pay them off? I'm going to pay them off regardless but I'd like to know if paying them off would help my credit scores at all

EQ 572, TU 597, EX 585

Capital One: $2566, CO 06/18

Capital One: $656, CO 06/18

Barclay's: $1327, CO 07/18

Old Navy: $93, CO 06/18

Chase: $3533, CO 06/18

Discover: $1724, CO 09/18

Citi: $546, CO 07/18

Wells Fargo: $363, CO 06/18

And a couple accounts in collections

ATT: $186

DirecTV: $196

I'll be paying the smaller balances off like the ATT, DirecTV, Old Navy, Wells Fargo, and Citi first and then work my way up to the bigger balances. Should I send letters out (or call and request something in writing) before paying them asking if they'll remove the tradelines once they're paid? Or would that not work with charged off accounts, only collections?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will my scores go up?

OP I don't think you will see an improvement right away. 
Do you have positive tradelines? 
charged off accounts still report monthly therefore scores will be hurting. Paying them off will help in the long run. 
Try to negotiate pay for delete. 
Couple secured cards should help. 
That's my opinion. Other might help you more

Message 2 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Once all the CO's are PIF. You will see slight increase. A CO is like a maxed out card reporting 100% util monthly. Paying the CA's wont do much at first. But in time just like the paid CO's. The ding will hurt less with time.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep, I've got an American Express Gold Card that's actually right over the limit of $1500 which I'll be paying down half of it by the end of the month. An American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card that's at $924 out of $1000, will also be paying half down at the end of the month, a 1st Financial Bank USA card at $1432 out of $2000 which should be paid off in full by mid to late March, and my Bank of America 3-2-1 card that used to be at a $1500 limit and I had a balance of around $1400 but once I paid a little more than half of that (down to around $500) they lowered my limit to $700 which I'm pretty bummed out about. but that card will be paid in full by the end of the month. 

So would it make a difference in my score going up if I pay my positive tradelines off in full after I pay off some of those COs? Or should I just pay them off as planned and worry about the charged off accounts after I pay these accounts off?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Once all the CO's are PIF. You will see slight increase. A CO is like a maxed out card reporting 100% util monthly. Paying the CA's wont do much at first. But in time just like the paid CO's. The ding will hurt less with time.

The expert has been summoned haha how've ya been? Does settling for less make a difference in either how much my score goes up or my chances of getting back in with those creditors? The smaller balances I'll pay off without a problem but the bigger ones are.. pretty hefty lol so if settling for less wouldn't make any difference then I'd rather go that route. But if does make a difference in any way then I'll just pay them in full. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your utilization is hurting more at this point. What I would do is bring utilization under 30% then take care of collections and charge offs one by one. 
Good thing is you don't have to start from secured cards. You already have good cards. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been there with a couple charge offs 5 years ago.

Even if you pay...they'll be there it'll just be closed (paid after charge off/collection)

It'll hurt for awhile. Immediately I don't think you'll see any big increase. I didn't. It took over a year to see anything seemingly JUMP. And having no lates or negatives in a 12 month period seemed to be the reason

Pay stuff regardless and try to negotiate pay for delete or decent settlements

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like stated upthread OP, In time your scores will go up. Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

I agree.  The easiest approach is to get utilization down.  You will see the bigger picture once utilization is down.  And if you can as stated, pay a collection/charge off along with active card.  This way killing two birds with one stone kind of thing.  I have been taking the same approach with progress.  Try it and keep us posted.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.